225 Evinrude missing a beat!!

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone, I've gotta 225 Evinrude that recently started having some problems. I just had to replace my power pack to get her running. Starts up good but seems to "kick" like it's missing spark or something. We got a test light and tested for spark which may have been escaping and it was good. All the plugs look good and are showing spark but I'm wondering if I have a bad coil or something and I don't know how to test for this. Took it for a test run and could not get up above 4000 rpm........usually tops out at 5600 rpm. This makes me believe I'm not running on all cylinders......again is this a coil problem???? Any suggestions are appreciated!!! I'm learning here little by little. Thanks!!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 225 Evinrude missing a beat!!

take an induction timing light with you next outing, clip it on each plug wire, and watch for a difference in the light. it will point out whats happening if it spark. have you check your compression? if spark and compression are good, look at the carbs, one may not be functioning properly. and your link and sinc could be out.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Where exactly do you clip the timing light lead? On the ignition coil wire? Isn't it insulated?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Did you check the blocking diode on the pak you did'nt replace? You may have replaced the wrong one.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I don't have a timing light so if I'm going to do this I'll have to buy one. I don't have the tool to check my compression either. I don't believe any of the cylinders are bad. I think this is electrical.

R.Johnson......what is the blocking diode?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It's a component to keep one pak from interferring with the other. The service manual will tell how it work's, and how to test. It will give the problem you descibe. It would take to long to discribe here.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Disconnect the lead from the power pak to the timer base. With an ohm meter on high ohm's scale, connect one lead to the white lead coming from the pak, and the other lead to the black-yellow lead from the pak, take a reading, swithch the lead's around, take a reading. You should have continuity one way, but not the other. Check both pak's while your at it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you clip the timing light on to the plug wires, it's and induction timing light, that reads thru the insulation.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I took the boat out of the water yesterday and the mechanic is coming today. I'll let you guys know what he finds. Thanks again to all.