22 ft Mammoth Starcraft MR CC Complete Restore end to end

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 22 ft Mammoth Starcraft MR CC Complete Restore end to end

Strength for the gunwales, here is what I learned...

Under your rubrail you'll see the gunwale riveted together there. On my Jetstar project I basically doubled the number of rivets (in addition to replacing any loose ones) and ya know what? It just about doubled the rigidity of the gunwale. Very strong when sewn up with rivets. Then the inner gunwale (with a brake) added that much more strength to it when double riveted in place. Replace that rotted ply under neath and you'll have an uber strong set up my friend:)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

brick house...thats the boat you got....I wouldnt worry about the gunnels..... strip all you got up top dont worry about how to finnish it...then get under and see what the hull is like before you put too much effort into this project...I think youll be fine...but you never know....at least strip half the bottom of the hull to bare and see what you are into......with the floor and foam all gone you can see whats involved in re riveting....

here is my and my lab in my two man fiberglass layout a few years back....its not something id want to do every weekend...but it mixes it up.... if you got 3-5 guys its a blast to rotate guys into the layouts for in your face action!

2ir17pe.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to ask...been at it a long time

bob

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jas, I will definately do that when the time comes. Glad I'm not the only one who wanted to replace them. Bob, I am hopefully blasting the hull tomorrow, would have preferred monday, but things came up and its not my blast pot to use so I gotta be patient.
I noticed my first bit of corrosion... on the gas tank where it was rested against a piece of rubber spacing to keep the tank tight against the stringers, seen here in the pics, first one is a pic of the spacers used... of all the spacers i only noticed this corrosion at one spot of the gas tank, so idk what hapened with this. tn.jpgtns.jpg
Splashwell is almost off, I'll get back on it Friday morning.

Bob, the boat I have is called a final attack by beavertail... its great for floating up creeks and wind-protected waters, I have even used it on the backbays on nice days. At 75 pounds its so-so for getting to distant spots... it has wheels on the bottom but a kayak carrier would make it a ton easier to manuever. I'm gonna try to find a paint scheme that works on the water like the layout you own. I'll surely be talking to you as duck season nears, lets hope for a colder winter this time!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dougy look at this thread, post #65. ShowMe has a good pic of the limber holes. You should have something similar.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

DougyB look at this guys two threads on his 22 footer...it was dont as a dual purpose duck hunter-fishing boat...same hull as yours i bet...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=488772http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=466320

this thread is the result of his work... his other thread is the start of tearing down a boat he picked up....

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=466320&page=2&p=3187940#post3187940

enjoy

bob

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats a nice setup for usin a layout, I like that a lot. I'm gonna try to keep this boat a fishing/fancy boat and then hopefully get my hands on another one to do the same thing as the guys in that thread

Ga I wasn't able to use your link bud.

What brand of epoxy resins do you guys prefer to use? I looked on Iboats and the only brand that didn't look cheesy was west systems...
Im also interested in your choices of product for fiberglassing resins, I don't need anything super expensive, I'm only fiberglassing my center console after I build it out of ext plywood. I already have a bunch of CSM in a 1 foot roll that the boss gave me.... unfortunately 1 foot rolls of 1.5 is the biggest we got.

I'm not quite ready for resins and fiberglassing yet, but once i blast the hull, if everything checks out I'm putting a big order in, so that after I buck the rivets and put gluvit down, I can work on the center console while I wait for the gluvit to completely set up

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I used Clark Craft epoxy and felt it was a good product. But if you're going to be doing some fiberglass work, may as well just get everything from U.S. Composites.

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah I see GA, I really hope mine has those, because I haven't noticed anything at all yet... but that is exactly what I need!!
Ezmobee, I'll do an in internet search on them and check it out, as I noticed Iboats doesnt carry them. I've heard the name U.S. composites floated around a bit on other threads

64osby

Admiral

DB - What a Beast you have there. I'll be watching as you resurrect that monster. I think Mariners are fantastic boats, we love our 21'er.

Rock n' Roll.

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks osby!!

Ga, I have no limber holes:mad: I couldn't believe it I checked each one and I got nothing

Here is a video of my work.. I do have some really bad news though, it seams that many of the rivet heads, for some odd reason, have just turned into a flaky powder, or shrunk flat against the hull. Many of the heads can be scraped off with a screwdriver or smashed off with a medium powered tap of a hammer. These occurences are throughout the boat, so the only plausible thing I could think of is to just replace all rivets in sections.. Cause of this is unkown to me, the only thing I could think of is cheap factory rivets, or maybe because of the zinc plate being coated over with paint and the stainless steel self tappers causing galvanic attack of the aluminum heads. Hardly any corrosion is on the inside (shaft end)of these rivets with defective heads.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey buddy! Man, those rivets got me scratching my head. It's gotta be the paint (plus salt) that was used, that's about all I can think of. Replacing them all will be a monster job, all the best on that!

On your transom skin being bowed out a little, don't sweat that at all. It'll pull tight when you bolt everything back up again.

On your gunwales, I wouldn't replace em either. Just double rivet and clean em up purdy.

On your livewell through hulls, what do you need live wells for? Bait maybe?
If you are catching to eat, you just need a fish box and ice (I've plumbed up a drain on mine).
If you are catch and release, no need for the livewell.
If you catch to weigh in for a tournament, yup, need a livewell.

Keep on it!:D

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

yeah thats a sign the rivets were left with salt to sit on them for long periods..and the aluminum got porous... I have replaced about 120 rivets on my boat. Once i saw that some seemingly normal looking rivets flaked off with little force...i went along and tapped on every rivets...about 30 came off.....so in my mind i have been pro active and addressed a future headach NOW while i have easy access...the floor isnt in and i havent painted the hull yet.....you probably need to do the same thing....but.....Id warn you to keep from having a string of broken rivets in a row all left open......soooo before you go too far kocking out all the bad or weak rivets.....install some new ones every so often...other wise your ribs may take a hike for the sky!!!

bob

64osby

Admiral

I was going to say someone re-bucked the snot out of those rivets, but I like Bob's explanation better ^^^.

Don't see much salt water damage here in Michigan. The Greats Lakes, Salt Free.:)

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey jas, hows that wood usually secured underneith the gunwales?
the rivet corrosion is tricky, even rivets above the waterline, on top of the rubrails, and even the heads inside the Hull that hold the inner rubrail on are corroded..... so paint is a big possibility.. y didn't I think of that! I was thinking the stainless rubrail and covered zinc plate was to blame. tapping to check each rivet sounds like a good idea, and I will do small section repairs at a time so everything stays secured and more importantly still aligns correctly

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

got the transom out before work today, rain and double shifts have kept me away from the boat for a while

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well its been a busy 2 shift week, but I got home early today and went imediately to the boat with some big hopes. They got crushed very quickly... as i stated the transom got removed, but what I didnt mention was that the top half did, and the bottom was a little stuck and i figured I would get a crowbar and wedge it up as soon as I got the time. Well, PO fiberglassed the bottom 1 1/2 feet of the transom, and then tabbed it to the floor with 6 inch tab of fiberglass. An estimated 30 seconds turned into a couple hours. The worst part is, it was the thickest behind and under the stringers. It was such a pain; the entire transom in general was a pain actually, more than it should have been for sure.

With the transom material all removed now, I can try to get back out there and give her a good pressure washing on the inside before I take her off the trailer and flip her over to attack epoxy/ old paint.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Fiberglass:rolleyes:

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pics comin in the morning guys. I have all foam out, powerwashed, all wood out, including sunwale support, all attachments, everything. I'm gonna try to flip it tomorrow but with no transom in and the sides unsupported I have worries of flipping it over, so Im gonna put the old transom back in for the flip over so that the hull doesnt flex. Tomorrow I will be paint stripping and wire wheeling, and I found an aircraft stripper that supposedly also attacks epoxy, I will give a verdict on its success.