21' boat with a 90 outboard?

mango1229

Cadet
hey guys...
i'm looking at buying a 21' Wellcraft excel bowrider powered by a 90hp Honda o/b. I already know that this combo will not make a "fast" boat, but i was hoping it would get me by for the rest of the season.(repower over winter). Do you guys think this 90 would get me on plane with 4-5 people in the boat? would i be able to exceed 30 mph? The boat is sleek and somewhat light weight for a 21' @ 2200lbs. I dont plan to ski, probably just cruise, fish and maybe tube. id really appreciate some thoughts/opinions before i make a long drive to see this boat. If this 90 will be inadequate for this boat w/ 4-5 people aboard, i'll just have to keep looking..what do you think?
thanks!!!

Attachments

• digi48209197_l.jpg
    digi48209197_l.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 21' boat with a 90 outboard?

It sounds unbelievably underpowered to me. My 21' bowrider has 210 HP an it's adequate but I can't imagine having less than half.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

What's the hp rating for that boat? Heck, my 16' aluminum fishing boat is rated for a 90.......

mango1229

Cadet

its rated for either 150/175 ouboard. I dont know why they would have repowered with such a small motor..But i do like the boat and the tons of space this boat has inside which is why i'm even considering it. The boat is a long drive away so i thought id ask if anyone has an idea about whether or not this hull would plane out with 5people aboard. If i do make the drive to see it/ test drive it i wont have 5 people with on it to see how it performs..
KD4UPL: comparing outboard - i/o hp is apples to oranges...but either way, your right this 90 underpowered for a 21'.. i was considering using this boat as is for the rest of the season and finding a bigger motor for it during the winter

WIMUSKY

Staff member

You're only at 51% of the rated hp, at 175. Yeah, you're probably are not going to be too happy with the performance(lack of).......... 5 people? You may have to put 3 in the bow to get it to initially plane..

It may cost you more to buy the boat and re-power than it would to buy one already set up with the proper hp......

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Will iot plane with 5 people? sure--but you will be at your destination before she breaks over onto plane.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

given your plan to repower, maybe not a bad idea. A 4 stroke honda shouldn't be hard to sell; meanwhile you could tool around with a couple of people--since you say "this season" is that a few weeks?

Do your homework on the price to sell the 90 and the cost/availability of a 150. Include trade-in to a dealer. remember you have to replace controls if you change brands.

mango1229

Cadet

If i sold the 90 4stroke and bought an older 2stroke 150, it probably wouldn't cost me too much if anything..
But, i have another month or 2 left in the seaon and i'd want to use the boat as is with the 90 for now. since everyone here thinks this boat will be a complete dog with 5 people, (almost to the point of being unuseable), then i need to consider finding another boat. I like the boat and all & i guess i just need to think it out a lil more, but i leaning away from it now. I knew this boat would be underpowered, but hoping not to the extent to where it doesnt plane, or where i'd have to reposition passengers to plane out. I appreciate all your input. its great having these forums to ask questions before purchasing a "headache"

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

By the time you find that other boat and get it on the water, the season will be almost over anyway.