2019 Mercury 20HP EFI 4 stroke, hard initial start.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Electric start. Motor is very stubborn to start initially. Once it starts and I run it. It’ll start right up for the rest of the day. Any ideas where to start. Primer bulb seems to be fine, plugs are good, fuel filter good.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Nothing! Ok, here's something: I have/have had 2002 90 and 115 2 stroke Mercs. First start of the day is hard for me too. Problem is getting enough fuel to the carbs to get things going.

I am finding problems with current issue squeeze bulbs acting like they are delivering fuel but not doing so. So I installed an electric fuel pump in place of the bulb and problem solved. Got mine off ebay: "Universal Electric Fuel Pump 12V Low Pressure 2-4 PSI Petrol Diesel Facet Style"

FLATHEAD

Captain
Nothing! Ok, here's something: I have/have had 2002 90 and 115 2 stroke Mercs. First start of the day is hard for me too. Problem is getting enough fuel to the carbs to get things going.

I am finding problems with current issue squeeze bulbs acting like they are delivering fuel but not doing so. So I installed an electric fuel pump in place of the bulb and problem solved. Got mine off ebay: "Universal Electric Fuel Pump 12V Low Pressure 2-4 PSI Petrol Diesel Facet Style"
Thanks! Not sure how that would work with EFI? Maybe someone could chime in. I thought these EFI motors are supposed to be easy start and this one does after that initial start.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Looking at the service manual it appears this motor has electric fuel pump.

matt167

Captain
It has an electric fuel pump after basically a mechanical pumped reservoir that has a float in it. Wonder if it’s siphoning. It’s basically the bottom half of a carburetor and the high pressure pump might be part of that assembly

FLATHEAD

Captain
I’m in the dark on these newer efi motors. Talked to the local boat repair guy today. Said he doesn’t have the plug in computer to trouble shoot that motor, said mercury has many plug in diagnostic set ups compared to other manufacturers. Also talked to a semi local highly regarded dealer/ shop. He has not seen my issue before but does have the proper electronics to trouble shoot it. He gave me some things to try next trip out. When that will be is up in the air right now😕

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Looking at the service manual it appears this motor has electric fuel pump.
Depending on the layout of your boat and fuel distribution constraints, maybe it needs some help. My 2 strokes have fuel pumps too but you have to get the fuel within the operating range of the pumps and that is the problem with first starts. I didn't change anything in the engine, just ensured fuel was available where the fuel pump could put it where it belonged.

In my engines that meant fill the carb bowls. On fuel injected engines, I'd imagine that would mean an ample of fuel at the inlet to the injection pump so that it would have something to pump. On an automobile engine the fuel pump is in the tank and it pressurizes the injection engine mounted "rail" to around 40 psi to have adequate fuel ready for the injectors to inject.

I know nothing about outboard fuel injected engines. I would assume that they have a squeeze bulb feed like the carb'd versions to get adequate fuel in the line from the tank to the inlet of the engine's fuel injectors and once the engine lights off the engine's fuel pump has enough suction to keep the flow moving. With the inline fuel pump the engine's pump doesn't have to work as hard.

I used an inline fuel pump on a boat that I had with a complicated fuel delivery layout. If I accelerated to full RPM (which was a little over the upper RPM max rating, 50 MPH boat, after a few seconds, the engine would loose RPMs. I wound up putting a pump in the fuel line and never had that problem again.....engine was new so it wasn't a faulty diaphragm problem.