2014 Bowriders - Four Winns H190 vs. Chaparral 19 H20 Sport vs. Monterey 196 MS

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: 2014 Bowriders - Four Winns H190 vs. Chaparral 19 H20 Sport vs. Monterey 196 MS

Unless you are worried about hitting rocks with a LU forget the jet. You need 30% more HP for the same performance. Unless Chapp has severely reduced the quality to get into a low price point they would certainly be my choice. OHhhh and resale on a carbed engine years down the road when they are no longer built is questionable.

Ha Ha, Chap only cut down to the competition small bowrider level of quality with the H2o series. Just kidding but really I think in actuality other boats finally brought their quality way up since the early 2000's. Someone mentioned Larson and Larson for years was mid level at best with the rest of the mass produced VEC boats. Being in MN you see them all over the place. Now they've really made strides along with many other builders. Back when I bought my Chap, the reason I selected that particular brand was because nobody in the small bowrider segment were building them as well rounded given Cobalt exited the small market in 2002. All the other 'everyman' brands as is all we have here in MN had some deficiency or another. You could watch as the model years went by when each builder corrected those deficiencies. Now It's hard to buy a bad, new small bowrider. I discern small bowriders from their larger bretheren because you can have a large xyz brand boat in the mid 2000's that was excellent but their smaller sized bowrider wasn't. Some builders gave you a Toyota if it was under 20 feet and a Lexus if it was over 21 feet and some gave you a Lexus no matter which model you bought. Sea Ray is a prime example of this when they really started producing junk small boats given their price point in the early/mid 2000's but their large boats were excellent. If I didn't have two dozen friends with Sea Rays that I line up with at the sand bar I might not be aware of the differences.

As I understand the EPA regulations...Carbs are indeed no longer built where I/O's are concerned and what you see are simply old stock of new engines being used up. I think there were some caveats but don't recall them however.

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2014 Bowriders - Four Winns H190 vs. Chaparral 19 H20 Sport vs. Monterey 196 MS

I love my Monty and have never had an issue with the Holley carb. Good luck!

robopath

Seaman Apprentice

I have the 2013 Four Winns 190 RS and love it. I looked at all three models that you mentioned plus a few others. We chose the FW for a few reasons but interior ergonomics was a huge component. Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help. FWIW I got mine in Muskegon and the boat lives at Crystal Lake MI.

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wouldn't look twice at a 19-21 ft jet only because of the motor and drive longevity. Basically 1 or 2 jetski setups in a full sized boat. Friend of mine spent $$$$ on a Yamaha jet boat, looks nice but nothing but silly little mechanical problems.

I'd say your friend is an exception, unless he's running an older 2 stroke model. The engine & drive reliability of 4 stroke Yamaha jet boats is really quite stellar and there are significantly fewer things to go wrong (or require maintenance) than on a typical I/O - no water pump, no bellows, no gimbal, no trim pumps or actuators, no power steering pump, no u-joints, no transmission, etc. I'm not here to "sell" them, but I'll say that my own experience with our twin engine 21 footer has been flawless. There is a very active owner forum and there are very, very few posts pertaining to any mechanical failures. Not the right boat for everybody, but no boat is. They are good all-arounders, though, with good "social" layouts. Unless you boat in places with lots of surface debris or plant life, I'd say they're at least worth looking at.

Ignoring the above and sticking with your alternatives - if you had a good experience with your FW, why not get another one? You could probably also score a clean used Cobalt 200 in your price range as well. Something to consider.

ouachitaman

Cadet
I would look for a 2009 boat to forego the catalytic converters. I would still want fuel injection though.