2013, the year of the jet drive?

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2013, the year of the jet drive?

The safety thing wasn't high on my list of reasons why I chose our Yamaha. It certainly doesn't bother me that there are no props or outdrive out there to kick but I would never have them on with people nearby in the water anyway. I do know that, as a kid out on our family Marlin 170, I kicked the non-spinning prop while swimming behind the boat a few times. Hurt like a mutha but no real harm done. For me, I liked the boat itself first and foremost, particularly the overall size, layout and performance characteristics. Next, I liked the reputation for reliability and the relative mechanical simplicity (and lower routine maintenance requirements) of the jet drives compared to an I/O. Having no exposed props doesn't hurt, particularly when you've got friends and kids along who haven't learned good boating safety habits (like don't play in the water right off the rear deck - that's an in/out area.

supersoaker548

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Like I said way back on page one, i've owned all types of boats. Next to a twin screw, a single jet is easily the best handling. Can't change your mind, but I'll take some video this spring and post it up here! Like I said, I go into my slip, spin around, and then move the boat straight sideways until I touch the dock. I'd love to see an I/O do that... (in case you are wondering how you get side thrust on a single jet, you hold the wheel to the opposite side you want to go, and then toggle forwards and back to modulate thrust. Not all single jets can do this, it depends on where the reverse thrust exits the bucket. Of course, the drawback is that steering in reverse is also backwards.)

this is one of the things i love about a jet

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

It is pretty crazy. Similar effect in the Yamaha jets - my SX210 makes 220 hp and will run 47. A 212SS has the same hull but makes 360 hp and will run 55-57. A 64% increase in power for a 21% increase in top speed.

Assuming pump efficiency is the same, the boat with 360 HP should do 60 MPH. There seems to be either a drop in efficiency with the bigger engines or an exaggerated difference in HP between the 220HP boat and the 360 HP boat.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I'll have to say no. Just got back from the Western NY boat show. NOT one single jet in attendance. We have several local dealers that carry SeaDoo or Yamaha, but they all carry a second brand as well. They all had PWCs at the show, but not one jet boat. Instead they had on display a comparable model of their competitive brand.

What WAS intersting is the upsurge of outboards. This year most every manufacturer of runabout class boats have added OB models to the fleet. I understand the reasons, but its just interesting to see 2 identical models sitting next to each other - one with an OB and the other with an I/O. I don't remember seeing that since back in the 1980's.

I guess I'd have to say 2013 is the year of the outboard!

supersoaker548

Petty Officer 2nd Class

from what i have learned for my berk. pumps is the faster you go the less the pump will load as it starts to unload the top of the impeller
you need to add a shoe, rideplate and a loader to get the efficiency back

i run a pressure gauge at the top , mid and lower of my pump and make adjustments from the readings

on my 21 jet i was running a stock 502 with 345hp the boat ran 63mph i added a loader and shoe and adj. them for more pressure and pickup 9mph anything over 65mph my pump would cavitate the pump now 100mph and no problems

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll have to say no. Just got back from the Western NY boat show. NOT one single jet in attendance. We have several local dealers that carry SeaDoo or Yamaha, but they all carry a second brand as well. They all had PWCs at the show, but not one jet boat. Instead they had on display a comparable model of their competitive brand.

Note that SeaDoo is no longer in the boat business. PWC yes, boats no. Sea Ray introduced it's new 21 foot jet this year, but from reports they have not had one at every show. For the moment, other than go-fast boats, it looks like it's really only Yamaha and the new entrant from Sea Ray.

I went out on our local Northern California lake on Saturday and, though I've only seen one other Yamaha on the water before, there were two more at the ramp this past weekend. Neither was brand new, though. Considering that there were only about 20 boats on the lake in total, I was shocked to see two other Yamahas.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yamaha jet boats were well represented at the Nashville boat show. My son particularly liked a black one with neon green accents.

I though it looked like someone had accidentally ingested one of those glow sticks and then taken a crap! :)

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

for the non-believers... this is a single jet.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Considering that there were only about 20 boats on the lake in total, I was shocked to see two other Yamahas.
Very common on the Colorado River lakes. Surprised you don't see more. If I was counting I bet I'd maybe get to 20 a day on Havasu.

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very common on the Colorado River lakes. Surprised you don't see more. If I was counting I bet I'd maybe get to 20 a day on Havasu.

The relative lack here probably has to do with the fact that the nearest dealer is 2 hours away, whereas there are dealers selling Monterey, Cobalt, Bayliner, Malibu, Centurion, Mastercraft, Sea Ray etc. all nearby. Most of the newer boats we see on our lake (Folsom Lake) seem to be inboard wakeboard boats. there are also a lot of 5-20 year old I/O bowriders and bass boats.

Jetboaters

Cadet

Welcome to the forum.....
Please don't reply to old threads. This is the 3rd one that was deleted.....

Thank you....

WIMUSKY

12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetboaters

Cadet

Welcome to the forum.....
Please don't reply to old threads. This is the 3rd one that was deleted.....

Thank you....

WIMUSKY

12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

Awesome to know that!

9. If you have questions, concerns, suggestions or complaints about the rules, moderation, or management of this site please contact a moderator via PM or iboats management for discussion. It is forbidden to debate these rules or their enforcement in the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Awesome to know that! Not everyone (obviously me included) reads the pages of rules for every forum. Suggestion...rather than anonymously just deleting 3 posts over an over...why not send a message to the member? Much more user friendly. I've never been on a forum where a post was deleted without notification as to why. How is one to learn without being taught? I assumed I'd not hit "Reply" or my browser was acting up.

Sending a pm...............