2013 etec 60hp prime oil

ready4itall

Seaman Apprentice
Got a used etec 60hp for a good price from a private seller. He bought it from a dealer and didnt mount it because his project fell thru. It was still in its packaged state. He gave me the diagnostics form, looked good.
so i brought it home and im reading the manual that if the outboard was oil was emptied, when i refilled it that i need to prime the oil?
i took some pictures of the diagnostic and oil reservoir.. It looks empty.

so my question is, could i get away with just re-adding xd100 (its been tuned for it) and call it good? Or some other get around procedure?
or must i do what ive been finding online and bring it in to a dealer to hook up EMM and prime it?

one thing that caught my attention was, on the diagnostic, the outboard was winterized at 112 hours pf total 119 hours. So cpuld it be empty just cause of transportation? And i could just add oil in and start up?

Attachments

• photo329160.jpg
    photo329160.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo329161.jpg
    photo329161.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo329162.jpg
    photo329162.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo329163.jpg
    photo329163.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Best take it to an authorized dealer.-----Mistakes / assumptions could be expensive.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I believe a shop can put the oil pump through it's paces without running the motor itself.----They make sure that it is working and all the air is out of the system.---Then you can start the motor.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
To keep yourself up to date on all ETEC specific matters take a peek at the ETEC user board at

https://www.etecownersgroup.com/?forum=136482

you may be able to prime the oil distribution my confirming with the dealer if a simple winterize will do it . ETEC can actually run with no oil (in safe mode) while you prime the system.

It may be as simple as filling the tank with xd-100 (best oil) and doing a self winterize to circulate extra oil in the engine.

My own 75HP 2005 ETEC has been a great engine.. overall trouble free after they did a software/hardware update on a chronic NO OIL issue code 38. starts on a dime purrs like a kitten, sip gas and oil, no smell and goes like he.... :)

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
btw… I never seen a 60 up close but… the oil tank pictures seems a bit weird with that white stuff all around ??

is it the way it is built or did somebody try to seal the tank middle seam…. ETEC oil tanks have leaked because of bad seams in the earlier models… like mine (2005) which cracked in the seam after a really bad run in 3-4 foot chops

my tank was replaced on my 7 year extended warranty your model year should not have this issue but ask around or check the tank . You will know soon enough after filling it :eek: see link read and leak

https://www.etecownersgroup.com/sea...owas=threads&btnSearch=Search&action=doSearch

Last edited:

ready4itall

Seaman Apprentice
btw… I never seen a 60 up close but… the oil tank pictures seems a bit weird with that white stuff all around ??

is it the way it is built or did somebody try to seal the tank middle seam…. ETEC oil tanks have leaked because of bad seams in the earlier models… like mine (2005) which cracked in the seam after a really bad run in 3-4 foot chops

my tank was replaced on my 7 year extended warranty your model year should not have this issue but ask around or check the tank . You will know soon enough after filling it :eek: see link read and leak

https://www.etecownersgroup.com/sea...owas=threads&btnSearch=Search&action=doSearch

I'll take acloser look at it tomorrow after work and get some better pics.