2011 suzuki df250 four stroke

kevmat200

Recruit
just purchased a new boat with a 2011 df250 four stroke engine, have a about 30 hrs, just had it in for the 20 service been running fine but the last two trips I keep having periodic engine stalling while at cruising speed, the engine stalls then dies and I get 2 beeps, engine won't start until I squeeze the primer bulb several times. took it in to be checked as usual noting shows on the computer, dealer said everything checked out fine as far as fuel flow, but they did find a loose battery connection. could a loose battery connection be the cause? any other suggestions as to what could cause this problem? haven't picked it up from the shop yet..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2011 suzuki df250 four stroke

It could certainly cause the stall but squeezing the primer bulb to get it started again is not going to fix an electrical connection. What speed do call "cruising speed" and what RPM is that?

kevmat200

Recruit

it has occurred at different rpms about 4500, got it out of the shop today they said they were 99 percent sure the loose battery ground was the cause, ran it for an hour today so far it ran well, no stalling. I had pumped the primer bulb after each stall thinking it was a fuel problem

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Loose wiring, especially at the battery will cause a four stroke to stall.

kevmat200

Recruit

Oh well ran the boat this weekend stalled again apparently the loose battery connection was not the cause. After the boat stalled I attempted to restart it 3 times before I squeezed the primer bulb and it would not start engine would die and I would get 2 beeps, I then pumped the primer bulb and the engine started and ran without incident the remainder of the weekend...anyone have any other suggestions as to what could be cause of this problem or anyone having a similar problem with their Suzuki four stroke...

parrott

Cadet

Sounds like a fuel pickup issue. Check your fuel pickup tube/antisiphon valve. Try running on a portable tank to eliminate fuel problems. If it runs OK on a portable tank start checking from the motor to pickup.If you are having to pump the bulb it is a fuel problem between the motor and fuel tank. I had the same problem on a brand new boat. The tank had shaving inside from the factory and they clogged up the fuel pickup tube where the antisiphon valve was.

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

The engine is fairly new but is the boat new or just new to you? The fuel vent hose may be crimped over or not venting somehow. Possible with new boats, as is a dirty tank. Second possibility is a bad check valve/anti siphon valve or a clogged fuel filter. Change the fuel filter, dump out what's in it and see if there is dirt, sediment or water. Fuel should flow freely without restriction when you pump/squeeze the bulb.
This does sound like a fuel issue but if the ground is not bonded to the boat your rigger/boat dealer ha done you a disservice. All grounds must be grounded to mother ground and mother ground connected to battery ground. You'll loose paint and zincs will not be affected if you're not grounded right. Seek a auto/marine electrician for correct wiring.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

Is this a repowered older hull?

kevmat200

Recruit

I have been away for awhile, the dealer ended up replacing the Suzuki df250 with a new one with a 250ss, they replaced all the fuel lines with the new engine. everything has been working well until this last weekend, I have 40 hrs on the new engine and now it started doing the same thing this last weekend. the boat is a 2011 also, now they are telling me its probally a vapor lock issue and their solution is to install an inline fuel pump. anybody heard of this kind of problem with suzuki?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Maybe not restart after sitting for awhile after a shut down with motor hot, but I have never heard of any motor stalling and shutting down while under way from Vapor lock.

Monitoring fuel pressure/vacuum to see what is going on would help some, but needs to be done when problem occurs
Seems like a pressurize fuel line would be a little dangerous on the boat, might check with your insurance before doing that to make sure they would cover a major fire with it rigged that way.

40 hrs and close to a year without a problem and now it comes back!
I would have them start the troubleshooting all over again as anything could have happened