2010 sea ray sundancer listing on accleration

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey gents ! I,m a new owner of a 240 sundancer and currently very dissapointed with its dynamic stability. It floats Level but is listing badly when getting on plane or decclerating again. I use trim tabs full down and trim full down on take off - the boat lists to starbord when gaining speeds . Trimming up the drive Levels it. On plane with trim tabs fully up and drive also trimmed up it runs straight but when i decclerate to no wake speed it lists badly to port - even lowering the Port tab does not help. At slow speed ut will level up again. My previous 21 footer cuddy ran true and Level - its New for me to experience such bad stability. Am i doing something wrong or is a 240 sundancer a trash in hull design ????

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Do you have manual or automatic tabs? The listing is primarily from the prop torque and everything that I have heard and read is they are good handling hulls.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
With our sundancer we noticed that we list to the starboard side when at float do to the weight of the galley, head and aft cabins weight being on that side.
I "think" that you need to check and make sure that the trim tab indicators are showing true and there is not any play with the trim tabs or the drive that would allow it to move IE air in the system, if the tabs are not working equally with each other this will throw off your launch or deceleration.
And you have prop torque you need to take into consideration, the deep V of the sundancer makes for a very stable ride.

Thalasso

Commander
Do you have manual or automatic tabs? The listing is primarily from the prop torque and everything that I have heard and read is they are good handling hulls.

Would think it has a Bravo 111. No prop torque on duo's

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
hey !

thanks thlasso and for confirmation : 5.0 MPI/Bravo three. i have manual benett trim tabs, i ordered now benett auto tab control with gyroscopic stabilization but i,m wondering if i,m doing something wrong or if the sundancer hull has such problems in general. the boat floats level at the dock.

do we have some people here with sundancer 240 experience ?

thanks much

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There can be many reasons for a lean during power up..3 main ones..
zinc on lower unit at wrong angle
1 trim tab lower that other
weight unbalanced
soooo
next time during acceleration..lift tabs all up ,drive full down..see what happens..lean?
still have lean,move lower unit zinc (looks like fin behind prop) to the 1 oclock position..try again
buy 6 cases of beer and stack on opposite side on lean..
Searays have great hulls, thick and well suited to a nice ride, you have one of the three above issues and experimenting with tabs,zinc's and weight will tell

Thalasso

Commander
hey !

thanks thlasso and for confirmation : 5.0 MPI/Bravo three. i have manual benett trim tabs, i ordered now benett auto tab control with gyroscopic stabilization but i,m wondering if i,m doing something wrong or if the sundancer hull has such problems in general. the boat floats level at the dock.

do we have some people here with sundancer 240 experience ?

thanks much

The auto tab doesn't help with getting on plane.You don't set the auto trim until you get on plane.

I used to own a 240

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander
There can be many reasons for a lean during power up..3 main ones..
zinc on lower unit at wrong angle
1 trim tab lower that other
weight unbalanced
soooo
next time during acceleration..lift tabs all up ,drive full down..see what happens..lean?
still have lean,move lower unit zinc (looks like fin behind prop) to the 1 oclock position..try again
buy 6 cases of beer and stack on opposite side on lean..
Searays have great hulls, thick and well suited to a nice ride, you have one of the three above issues and experimenting with tabs,zinc's and weight will tell

No (angled) zincs on a bravo111.There only on single props to counter prop torque.
Tabs full down. Drives full down. Might have to change one tab angle because of list untill bow drops. It's a common problem. There just isn't enough power to get up fast.
OP doesn't say what engine but my guess would be a 5.0

Last edited: