2008 Ram 2500 6.7L AC clutch bolt

Maclin

Admiral
The defroster needs the compressor going to dry out the air quicker, can make a lot of difference depending on humidity/temp combinations..

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks guys, I'll get it done, just right now don't know when.

Volphin

Lieutenant
I usually hold the pulley with a large strap type oil filter wrench. I would try threading a nut (metric) on it and pop a small weld in the hole and go to town with an air ratchet. But do use some PB blaster first because they get hammered with moisture down there and rust up pretty tight.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Curiosity has me on this one???? the clutched face plate came off due to a broken bolt, why are you thinking of replacing the compressor????

Why not move remove belt and move fan shroud out of the way, pull the pulley, spin out the bolt shaft and replace what needs replacing?

alldodge

Staff member
Curiosity has me on this one???? the clutched face plate came off due to a broken bolt, why are you thinking of replacing the compressor????

Why not move remove belt and move fan shroud out of the way, pull the pulley, spin out the bolt shaft and replace what needs replacing?

Because what caused the bolt to brake, bad design or is there a problem with the compressor. As before I'm leaning toward just remove the belt and securing bolts. Lean it down, replace the bolt and washer.

Don't plan on removing the fan shroud because to get it out of the way to make a difference I would need to remove the fan. To remove the fan the radiator needs to come out.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Because what caused the bolt to brake, bad design or is there a problem with the compressor. As before I'm leaning toward just remove the belt and securing bolts. Lean it down, replace the bolt and washer.

Don't plan on removing the fan shroud because to get it out of the way to make a difference I would need to remove the fan. To remove the fan the radiator needs to come out.
OK understood, if when you get the pulley off and the bolt out will you slide the clutch piece back over and try and rotate the compressor to see if its free?

And do you have enough slack in the lines to rotate it down without disconnecting them ?

alldodge

Staff member
Went back thru all my post and one is missing, either I posted it in another thread by mistake or there was a web site hiccup.

The compressor is free, I can rotate it. Can put the clutch plate on it and it moves free enough. There was a guy in the Cummins Forum which had the bolt break some time back and had to drill his out. I posted a link to his pdf file but as before my post disappeared.

There is enough room to tilt the compressor down to be able to get at it. Don't pan on taking the pulley off unless there is no other way to hold the shaft. The bolt is a M6-1.0x25mm and originally was 10.5 hardness, he changed to a 12.9 hardness.

Before was thinking real hard at compressor replacement but after seeing another with the same issue and not having more problems after, its worth a cheap try

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Update: well lowered the compressor and tried for an hour of so to get the stud out, no luck. Replaced the serpentine belt and reinstalled the old compressor. Ordered a new compressor (Denso) and it arrived yesterday. Some time later I'll get it replaced. Probably repair the old one and have it as a backup (maybe)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
AD - With this strange winter heat wave you probably need the AC. :blue: