2008 3.0 mercruiser winterizing

reims

Cadet
i have a 2008 mercruiser 3.0 alpha 1 stern drive and looking for a "free" manual to download or view online, i have searched with no luck. i want to winterize my boat the proper way as per manual, but dont have one!...or maybe someone has step by step instructions from manual??...any help is appreciated.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2008 3.0 mercruiser winterizing

How much you need to do, will depend on where you live.

Let us know...!

Happy boating!

reims

Cadet

live in saskatchewan, canada, very cold!...have manual for the stern drive, but cant find one for the engine???

reims

Cadet

ok...from the info i have gathered from various places...let me know if i am doing this wrong!,,,i wont be offended

1.run engine at idle until warm on muffs
2.change oil and filter
3.change fuel filter/water seperator
4.retsart engine, on muffs, at idle, check for leaks
5.take air filter off and spray fogger into carb until it wants to stall,
6.turn engine off

7.pull plugs off of the 2 blue hoses and drain water out of block (are there any other plugs to pull out besides these 2??)
8.take off water hose at front on both sides of t stat

9.pour in antifreeze until you see it run out of blue hoses

10. then do winterizing for the stern drive.

if im off on this feel free to let me know! thanx.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

ok...from the info i have gathered from various places...let me know if i am doing this wrong!,,,i wont be offended

1.run engine at idle until warm on muffs
2.change oil and filter
3.change fuel filter/water seperator
4.retsart engine, on muffs, at idle, check for leaks
5.take air filter off and spray fogger into carb until it wants to stall,
6.turn engine off

7.pull plugs off of the 2 blue hoses and drain water out of block (are there any other plugs to pull out besides these 2??)
8.take off water hose at front on both sides of t stat

9.pour in antifreeze until you see it run out of blue hoses

10. then do winterizing for the stern drive.

if im off on this feel free to let me know! thanx.

If you have the two blue hoses, then you have the single point draining system...and there are no 'plugs' to remove. Just disconnect the two hoses where they rest at the T-handle, and make sure that they are placed lower than the engine block. Watch for a decent amount of water to drain...to insure that there isn't any obstructions at the hose connections at the engine block.

As for disconnecting the hoses at the thermostat housing, Mercruiser does not recommend that. They say the following:

"For additional assurance against freezing and rust, remove the thermostat cover and thermostat. Fill the engine seawater cooling system with a mixture of antifreeze and tap water mixed to manufacturer?s recommendation to protect engine to the lowest temperature to which it will be exposed during cold weather or extended storage. Using a new gasket, reinstall thermostat and cover. Tighten cover bolts to 30 lb-ft (41 Nm)."

Mercruiser also says the following:

"8. Prepare fuel system for extended storage as follows:
a. Close the fuel shut-off valve, if equipped. If no fuel shut off valve is present, a suitable method must be employed to STOP the flow of fuel from the fuel tank to the engine before proceeding.
b. Remove flame arrestor assembly and start engine.
c. While operating engine at fast idle (1000-1500 rpm), fog internal surfaces of induction system and combustion chambers by squirting approximately 8 ounces (227 grams) of Quicksilver Storage Seal or SAE 20W engine oil into carburetor bores.
d. Squirt the remaining 2 ounces (57 g) of Storage Seal (or oil) rapidly into carburetor, just as the engine begins to stall, due to lack of fuel. Allow engine to stop.
e. Turn ignition key to OFF position."

The key here is to drain as much fuel out of the carb as is possible. In my neck of the woods, running Marine Sta-Bil in my fuel takes care of any gumming of the fuel system.

Happy boating!

reims

Cadet

ya i planned on adding fuel stabilizer, which should do th trick for me too. i was planning on leaving my antifreeze in my block all winter via those hoses i described earlier, im not sure whether or not i wanna take off the thermostat housing as per manual, i think i would feel safer by just leaving the system topped up with anti freeze all winter in case of any water that may have been trapped anywhere in system, since it does get ridiculously cold up here!

reims

Cadet

by the way approx how much water does this block contain when full, just wondering how much water i should be expecting to tell whether or not i should check for obstructions. thanx!

reims

Cadet

would anyone have a pic of of the 3.0 where to spray the fogger?? am i right to say below the air filter (when its off) in both sides of the carb??

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

would anyone have a pic of of the 3.0 where to spray the fogger?? am i right to say below the air filter (when its off) in both sides of the carb??

Correct!

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

by the way approx how much water does this block contain when full, just wondering how much water i should be expecting to tell whether or not i should check for obstructions. thanx!

I can't say for sure...but I drain mine into the bilge, and then out the back.

If I had to guess...less than a gallon?

Maybe someone has a better idea of how much.

reims

Cadet

thanx!...i feel confident i am well on my way to a safe winterize now!

reims

Cadet

by the way i dont think i have a fuel shut off, but i think pinching the hose off should do the trick????

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

by the way i dont think i have a fuel shut off, but i think pinching the hose off should do the trick????

Just be gentle...don't use Vise Grips!

A 'C-clamp' comes to mind. They make pinching pliers that won't mar the hose:

29zwgft.jpg

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use needle nose vice grips and put rubber hose on the clamping surfaces to protect the fuel hose you are clamping.

reims

Cadet

ya ok, thats what i was thinking (being gentle), sounds good guys, thanx again!