2007 Tohatsu 15B2EF Air Silencer Problem?

treeshaka

Recruit
There was a piece of foam in the air silencer when I bought the motor used, it was a piece of foam out of a lawn mower carb it looks like. The parts manual shows no foam whatsoever, but motor only wants to start with my hand completely covering the air silencer????If I remove my hand the motor wants to cut off........ Any tips?

Last edited:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 2007 Tohatsu 15B2EF Air Silencer Problem?

Loose the foam and have the carb cleaned.

treeshaka

Recruit

Okay, took it off and apart and cleaned it out, looked fairly clean. There was an O-ring broke where the silencer attaches to the carb. (I know I will get raked over the coals for this one) Didnt have an o ring handy so I used some gasket maker to replace for right now.......so I will let that cure for the recommended 24 hours and try it out tommorrow. Thanks!!

pvanv

Admiral

I'm guessing you're talking about the 4-stroke MFS15B2, not the old M15B2 2-stroke, since you're talking about an o-ring for the air silencer. The o-ring isn't actually critical -- it will run fine without one. But be absolutely certain that you did a very thorough job cleaning the carb. And you might want to test the auto-by-starter solenoid, which provides the automatic fuel enrichment for starting. For details, see the Factory service manual, available from any dealer, including me.