2007 Mercruiser 5.0 MPI randomly stalls

vietcu

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for some help, I did a search before posting but have not found a solution. If I missed it in my search, my apologies.

Last year I purchase this boat and had a stalling issue, at first when I adjusted trim boat would stall and had to restart engine. Adjusted sender and solved that issue. Then it started this random stalling and again would have to restart engine. Did some research and figured it was the IAC. Changed that and no more stalling where I have to restart. Now I’m at this issue where I can’t seem to find a solution yet.
Engine starts fine every time, but when running it would randomly stumbles and never stalls completely. Smart craft would beep,drop in rpm for a quick second and regain power. It does this so random that I can’t pinpoint why. Sometimes happens after a 1-2 min, sometimes won’t happen for 30 min. At any speed I might add, while going at lowest possible speed or wot, stumbles but never completely shut engine off. I thought changing the rotor and cap solved my issue, because took it out first time this year I ran it for an hour and had no issues. Did find out that my thermostat was stuck open. Took it out second trip, ran for 10-15 min no issue, parked it for a few hours to swim. On my way back to dock as soon as I got out of no wake zone roughly 5 min started same issue, stumbles again. Help?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
You mentioned cap/rotor replaced but what about plugs/wires? Fuel filters inspected/replaced?

I'd be suspect of fuel delivery at first, verify good pressure/vacuum at all rpm/load ranges.

If smartcraft is beeping there is a good chance a code is active and likely being stored as a result, good option is to read live data/check faults with a good scan tool

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check your fuel filter contents to make sure you have only fuel in there.

vietcu

Seaman Apprentice
You mentioned cap/rotor replaced but what about plugs/wires? Fuel filters inspected/replaced?

I'd be suspect of fuel delivery at first, verify good pressure/vacuum at all rpm/load ranges.

If smartcraft is beeping there is a good chance a code is active and likely being stored as a result, good option is to read live data/check faults with a good scan tool
I changed cap and rotor only, the plug wires I did inspect and looked new so I left alone. I was planning on doing the plugs but was leary as I couldn’t see what I was reaching for. So left that alone. I did change fuel filter last year. I’m going to inspect the fuel this time around and see if I might have missed something.

Bondo

Staff member
I did change fuel filter last year. I’m going to inspect the fuel this time around and see if I might have missed something.

Ayuh,..... Check the Contents of that filter, for anything but clean fresh gasoline,.....