2007 Mercruiser 4.3mpi starting/alternator problem

msswany

Cadet
I have 2007 Mercruiser 4.3mpi, Right now when I turn the key on I have no power. If jump power from battery to the excite wire on the alternator I get power and can crank/start the engine. Where could I be losing the power to the ignition?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2007 Mercruiser 4.3mpi starting/alternator problem

What is the serial number of your engine. Year means nothing.

Don S

You afre going to have to find out where the open is in the system. Most likely a fuse or circuit breaker. when you jump to the excite wire you are just powering up the system backwards.

There should be a square fuse Square fuse.jpg on the starter solenoid that could be the problem, then on to the engines 50A main breaker, then on to the instrument panel with a 20A fuse in the red/purple striped wire going to the ignition switch B terminal.
Any one of those could be the problems.

msswany

Cadet

On the 50A main breaker... should the red reset button stick in? and which position should the little yellow arm be in? Thanks

Don S

Is this the type breaker you have? Even if it's not tripped, you need to test both legs of the breaker with a meter to make sure it has power to it and coming out of it. Don't just assume it's ok by looks only.

Breaker.jpg

msswany

Cadet

It has that type of breaker, but it ended up being the 15amp fuse on top of the engine

Don S

Should have know, just looked at your profile and noticed you have a Tahoe boat.

Sure would be nice if they would learn how to wire the engine in properly.