2007 90hp Merc 2 stroke died suddenly after running fine.

Old No 7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 2007 Optimax 90hp 2 stroke started fine today, and for 3/4 of the trip ran perfectly. (About 20 minutes) I slowed to about 1/2 speed to get through some rough water and when I opened it up again, it suddenly dropped to an idle. There was no response from the throttle at all. It idled fine though.

To make sure the lower half of the motor was OK I shut it down and checked things out. All was fine so I tried to start it back up, but all it did was crank.

A friend towed me back to the dock. I thought maybe the throttle cable had broken, but after pulling the cover off I can see the linkage moving but still no start. I have 3/4 of a tank of gas and the primer bulb is hard. Another boat owner said it sounded like I had no spark. But how would it have idled?

I did notice that to get to WOT The throttle handle was closer to the console this year but not by that much, maybe 1/4" max. Thats the only thing I have seen out of normal all year.

I'm at a loss.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

Old No 7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2007 90hp Merc 2 stroke died suddenly after running fine.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I have to wait 2 weeks to get a mechanic to look at it. Thanks!

Mi duckdown

Commander

I would check for water in the fuel system first.

Old No 7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats something I didn't think of. Thanks I'll check it tonight. The best way to check for water is to pull the gas line and pump some into a glass jar and see if it seperates right?

Thanks!
Mike

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

It has probobly settled to the bottom of the tank again by now.

You may need to change the fuel filter, drain the VST. Hopefully you won't have to pull the injectors and send them in for cleaning.

Double check that the lanyard is plugged in and check for spark on all spark plug wires using a 7/16 gap spark tester to be sure the igniton system is working.

Hitting waves and rocking the boat can stir up water and crub laying in the bottom of the fuel tank and create a problem. When you change the filter, pour it into a clear container and see what's in there.

Old No 7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Problem solved.

There are two small plastic clips that hold a small metal throttle arm in place. One of the clips was allowing the arm to pop out. it looked like it was installed properly but the tab on the clip was letting the arm come out.

It works fine when i put it back in place but it keeps coming loose so I'm going to my local Mercury dealer tomorrow to get new ones. (Replacing both just in case).

Thanks everyone for your help!

Mike