2006 mercruiser alpha 1 gen 2 with MPI v6 winterizing questions Tahoe deckboat

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I got a couple questions on the winterizing of this setup.

With the MPI engine do you still spray fogger under the flame arrestor? Also any suggestions for putting in new plugs with the Tahoe 215 space seems very limited any useful tools that may help?

As for antifreezing the lower unit I got a tank off amazon for it and had a few questions with that.
1. Do you run the water while running the antifreeze as well or do you shut off the water valve completely when running the antifreeze in?
2. Do you need to drain after applying antifeeze with the turn valve or do you leave the antifreeze in the block?

I'm changing the fuel filter, foot oil, greasing, and engine oil/filter. Any other tips feel free to share as inboards are pretty new to me.

Thanks!

Last edited:

harleyman1975

Ensign
Why the antifreeze? Just drain the water and call it good. You will see it said time and again here AIR DON'T FREEZE.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
lol I've heard that before, but the corrosion protection is nice. I assume it's impossible to get all moisture out as well. Being in the South Carolina I assume it's nothing to be worried about more so, but figured I'd play it safe.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
If you must use antifreeze, drain the engine first, then add the antifreeze. There's about a million threads on this, just search under "winterizing" or "antifreeze" and you'll have plenty of info.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
drain block and manifold
change engine oil
change outdrive gear oil

it is now winterized, will not freeze, will not crack block, good to 5000000 degrees below zero for up to a million years or until the meteor hits the earth.

if antifreeze makes you feel better, now you can pour in PG antifreeze (Propylene Glycol) Not Ethylene Glycol.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Corrosion protection should be a non issue in a engine that has been full of hot water all summer, has a layer of rust coating the inside of the block, and will now be filled with cold air for a few months. It might knock Scotts million years down to 999,999. Pull the plugs, probe the holes to make sure all the water is out and forget it. As for fogging, I have never fogged my engine in 34 years and that is with a NY 6 month layup. But anyway, as long as you DRAIN THE WATER FIRST whatever you do after is a non issue.