2006 Johnson 9.9hp need help…

ryanp1227

Petty Officer 3rd Class
J10EL4SD, four stroke. On the water, it starts, but stays around full throttle. The throttle lever is not stuck. If I rev it, there is just a sucking noise from the intake but no change in rpm. The motor also surges a bit intermittantly as it “idles” at near full throttle.

This was an almost complete restore for me. It pumps water fine. Fuel pump parts are new. Plugs/wires, fuel lines/primer ball/tank, oil/filter, all new. Everything seems to be running perfectly otherwise.

I did not rebuild the carb, rather I relied on being told it had been recently serviced. This was not due to laziness, its because I could not locate a rebuild kit.

I want to rebuild the carb, so if anyone knows the part number for the kit or a link to one I would be very thankful. Any other suggestions on what to look for would be great as well.

ryanp1227

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know its a Suzuki…or Johnzuki. Theyre no help other than “bring it in and we will take a look at it”, even to just get a carb kit. I will not be bringing it anywhere.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Unfortuneately I know nothing about your particular model but I am confused about your problem. You say that the motor runs full out, all the time, but you have confirmed that the throttle butterfly opens and closes properly? So with the throttle butterfly fully closed your motor is still pulling enough gas to run at full power? Is that your problem?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I know its a Suzuki…or Johnzuki. Theyre no help other than “bring it in and we will take a look at it”, even to just get a carb kit. I will not be bringing it anywhere.
carb jobs are mostly cleaning out obstructions like dried gas, sticky needles so if you do not break the gasket reassembly is usually satisfactory. it certainly seems that fuel is flowing ... if not to much... check the float... enricher

ryanp1227

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Unfortuneately I know nothing about your particular model but I am confused about your problem. You say that the motor runs full out, all the time, but you have confirmed that the throttle butterfly opens and closes properly? So with the throttle butterfly fully closed your motor is still pulling enough gas to run at full power? Is that your problem?
Yes that sounds right. I can start the motor, but it goes right to nearly full throttle and stays there. It will maybe “loop” or surge a few hundred rpm either way but generally just stays high rev. Can shift into F and R no prob and it pushes the boat fine, just no change from high rpms. It seems the butterflies are opening/closing correctly as when i open the throttle I can hear the change of it sucking in air. I am also working the throttle directly at the carb, so I know the mechanism is working. If I push the lever the other way, as if you were twisting the tiller handle back towards the slow/stop range, it will go to a rough idle for a second or two and then cut out. It is a strange problem to have.

ryanp1227

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here is a visual of the motor if you need

Attachments

• 529F7DE4-48BE-4F02-83C7-D637A27F098F.jpeg
    529F7DE4-48BE-4F02-83C7-D637A27F098F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 5B6F2CD8-9D25-4381-B32E-C24354B96C3B.jpeg
    5B6F2CD8-9D25-4381-B32E-C24354B96C3B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • D9967D1E-C3B4-4825-989D-703A64ECB162.jpeg
    D9967D1E-C3B4-4825-989D-703A64ECB162.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • D7FF7F90-77F5-481D-B5B4-BE6E7214DB65.jpeg
    D7FF7F90-77F5-481D-B5B4-BE6E7214DB65.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

ryanp1227

Petty Officer 3rd Class
carb jobs are mostly cleaning out obstructions like dried gas, sticky needles so if you do not break the gasket reassembly is usually satisfactory. it certainly seems that fuel is flowing ... if not to much... check the float... enricher
Would cork gasket material be fine if any of the originals are broken or worn out? I can make my own if so…

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Would cork gasket material be fine if any of the originals are broken or worn out? I can make my own if so…
I would use paper gasket material easy to cut with an exacto knife and hole punch. you can try thin cork... no harm in trying

ryanp1227

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have the carb all apart. Only notable items were the carb throat, which was so black and evenly distributed front to back that i actually thought it was colored that way for some reason until I started cleaning it, the inlet manifold also had black buildup, and the idle screw needle had a bit of built up grime and a rusty spring. Nothing seemed obstructed or seized. Curiously the bowl was pretty much bone dry even though I last ran it a few days ago.

ryanp1227

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What about the enricher? Would that cause the issue im having? I researched how the auto-enrichener works and it seems like it increases fuel flow when cold rather than restricting air-flow like a choke, correct? Does it allow THAT much more fuel to flow, where youd almost get full throttle until it warms up?

It is tough to find the oem part, 5036525. Quicksilver makes one that LOOKS identical, 854254T…any idea if I could get away with hooking that up? Diff in price would prob be about $130!

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just fuel is not the cause.----Too much fuel will SLOW the motor down !!----You need the extra air and fuel to make it run wild.----Checked the belt timing ?----Checked for a sheared flywheel key ?