2006 9.9 tohatsu layed down wrong side up

mikomos

Cadet
2006 9.9 tohatsu layed down wrong side up, oil went into cylinder pulled plugs, and added oil, startes now but wont run at trolling speed , cuts out,but runs fine at high speed< any ideas?? i cleaned carb changed plugs,still just above idle sputters and dies....

gss036

Commander
Re: 2006 9.9 tohatsu layed down wrong side up

Mix a can of SeaFoam with the gas and run it, hopefully it will clean things out for you.

pvanv

Admiral

If the carb was left full of fuel during storage, probably varnishing in the low-speed passages. Cannot be reasonably cleaned by "spray can" carb cleaner. Maybe... maybe... will start to dissolve with use, maybe aided by seafoam or similar, but I have not had much luck with that.

Do a proper carb disassembly and soaking in real carb dip, and that will likely cure what ails it.

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same thing happened to me last year when i bought a 2006 Yamaha 25hp 4-stroke. Pulled plugs, dry-fired to kick out oil, cleaned & installed plugs. Fired it up and it smoked a little but after about 30-40 seconds it stopped smoking and i have'nt has a proplem since. I don't know if this info helps but i learned not lay a four-stroke down the wrong way. Good luck