2005 Rinker 232BR - Question about troubleshooting bilge pump issue

PeoriaILBoater1

Recruit
Hi, I have a 2005 Rinker 232BR and love it. Last year my bilge pump developed an issue I need to get corrected but don't know where to start. The bilge pump (not sure of brand/model) is both manual (switch on dash) and automatic. The "automatic" feature stopped functioning at some point last summer. Bilge pump works fine when I engage the dash switch manually, but does not turn on when water accumulates in the bilge due to rainwater (I leave boat uncovered alot during the summer) like it used to. Wasn't that concerned about it because the boat is parked on a lift and sits out of the water while in the slip so there's no danger of it sinking due to a leak and a faulty bilge pump. I do want to get it fixed though.

My questions are:

Could the float inside the bilge pump that activates the switch be stuck in the down position due to oily gunnk buildup?
Could it be a faulty switch not working if the float isn't stuck? I have heard that these bilge pumps have two switches?
Could it be a blown fuse that controls the power to the float switch?

Any guidance would be appreciated! I'm going to get into the boat this weekend to start getting it ready to put in!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 2005 Rinker 232BR - Question about troubleshooting bilge pump issue

Welcome to iBoats . . .

Yes, to your first 2 questions . . . no to the third. (with a typical installation)

You should see if you have the external 'float' style switch for your bilge pump and then see if anything is preventing it from activating. Fairly often the float switch will go bad.

If you can get the exact brand/model of the bilge pump and a picture of the pump/switch itself, that would also help with responses.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Re: 2005 Rinker 232BR - Question about troubleshooting bilge pump issue

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Actually, there could be a separate fuse for the float switch circuit; that's how I wired mine. But it's more likely to be the switch itself or a corroded connection, such as inside a butt connector.