2004 Sea Ray 240 Sundeck 5.0 Data Bus

SKYLORDD

Cadet
Was out on the lake this weekend and had gone about 30 minutes when I got a beep followed by another beep. Didnt see any warning messages or anything show up on the screen. went thru the display and all looked fine , good water temp, good oil pressuure , good everything. Then as i continued on it double beeped again. So I throttled back to idle and the engine quit and DATA BUS Failure came up on the display. Waited a while and cranked it up and it started so I turned around and headed back to dock. before i put the boat on the trailer I slowed up prior to the shore to see how slow in RPM it would go before cutting out. I got to 1000 rpm and then it quit. SO i waited a little while and tried cranking it but it wouldnt catch. So while i was cranking I slipped it into forward and it started. Thankfully as I still had to get back to the dock and onto the trailer. So what is this Data Bus nad what could be the problem. To me it seems like it would be a throtttle position sensor or something that went bad or has the computer crapped out ? Anyone have an idea ? I know if I call the dealer their answer is bring it in. But if its something as simple as a throttle sensor that I can replace then i dont see spending the money to haul it all the way in to have them change it out when I can do that. So If someone has an idea i'd appreciate it. Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 2004 Sea Ray 240 Sundeck 5.0 Data Bus

Was out on the lake this weekend and had gone about 30 minutes when I got a beep followed by another beep. Didnt see any warning messages or anything show up on the screen. went thru the display and all looked fine , good water temp, good oil pressuure , good everything. Then as i continued on it double beeped again. So I throttled back to idle and the engine quit and DATA BUS Failure came up on the display. Waited a while and cranked it up and it started so I turned around and headed back to dock. before i put the boat on the trailer I slowed up prior to the shore to see how slow in RPM it would go before cutting out. I got to 1000 rpm and then it quit. SO i waited a little while and tried cranking it but it wouldnt catch. So while i was cranking I slipped it into forward and it started. Thankfully as I still had to get back to the dock and onto the trailer. So what is this Data Bus nad what could be the problem. To me it seems like it would be a throtttle position sensor or something that went bad or has the computer crapped out ? Anyone have an idea ? I know if I call the dealer their answer is bring it in. But if its something as simple as a throttle sensor that I can replace then i dont see spending the money to haul it all the way in to have them change it out when I can do that. So If someone has an idea i'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum

The data bus is the lines of communication the ECM (boats computer) uses to obtain info from the sensors on the engine. Items such as throttle position, idle air control and the like all communicate with the ECM along the data bus. It could be as simple as a bad connection somewhere. Check the connectors on the ECM and the like and see if it clears up. The bad part about this kind of failure it will proably take a scanner to find and or fix the issue.

SKYLORDD

Cadet

One thing I noticed last week when I was out was that I got yelled at 2 different times in a NO WAKE area for going to fast or causing a wake and I had the throttle as back as far as it would go without disengaging the prop and it was still causing wake, It almost makes me believe the throttle sensor has gone out.

Bondo

Staff member

One thing I noticed last week when I was out was that I got yelled at 2 different times in a NO WAKE area for going to fast or causing a wake and I had the throttle as back as far as it would go without disengaging the prop and it was still causing wake, It almost makes me believe the throttle sensor has gone out.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... At what rpms does it idle at,..??

alldodge

Staff member

The newer engines have their issues and finding them can be difficult. Hope someone like Fun Times will see the post and offer some advise

SKYLORDD

Cadet

As I assumed, if I called the dealer their answer was "Cant tell you that over the phoine but bring it in ........." and bring your wallet.

alldodge

Staff member

As I assumed, if I called the dealer their answer was "Cant tell you that over the phoine but bring it in ........." and bring your wallet.

For the most part they are right just as we have difficulty over the net. I got tired of running into simuliar issues so I bought the Merc scan tool. If you go to the Adult section there is a thread about making a simple scan tool for a few bucks. It cannot tell you everything but can tell you if it threw a code.

SKYLORDD

Cadet

For the most part they are right just as we have difficulty over the net. I got tired of running into simuliar issues so I bought the Merc scan tool. If you go to the Adult section there is a thread about making a simple scan tool for a few bucks. It cannot tell you everything but can tell you if it threw a code.

I saw it on here earlier but cant seem to find the adult section,

Fun Times

Staff member

So what is this Data Bus nad what could be the problem. To me it seems like it would be a throtttle position sensor or something that went bad or has the computer crapped out ? Anyone have an idea ?
Warning Display Screens, ENGINE DATA BUS: The data communication link between the tachometer and engine is not connected.

Refer to the engine Operation, Maintenance, and Warranty Manual for further explanation of the problem and the correct action to take. Contact the dealer if the problem persists.

Do you by chance have your engine serial number handy???

The way the engine is running, My first thought would be you have a loose, corroded battery connection or wire pulling out of a wire harness plugin connection or something of the like somewhere such as the crankshaft position sensor wire connection or a going bad/dirty crank sensor.

One common fix for a data bus error seems to be that disconnecting each connection between instrument and/or PCM engine wiring harness and check the condition of the connectors, and restore the connections. By doing this step, it may start to work correctly again.

Also it's important to ensure that you have two terminating resistors either inline with the blue data cable line or two resistors going into the junction boxes at each end of the data cable. If there is no junction box/s then the blue cable may have an yellow looking tape wrapped around the end of the data cable indicating terminating resistors are inline within the cable itself.

Have you done a sea water pump impeller recently? The crankshaft position sensor is down in that area and it's easy to accidentally hit the wires while down there working.

Last edited:

SKYLORDD

Cadet

Thanks for the responses. Fun Times this is great info, I'm pretty well mechanically inclined with auto's but have limited experience with Marine stuff. My Battery was replaced about a month or so ago and have used the boat several times up until this weekend when it stopped running at idle. One question where is the data cable located ? I changed out the sea water pump impeller about 2 years ago , will do again this fall. Actually the dealer pulled my engine out of the boat to repair the steering linkage about 18 months ago. I'll check the connections on everything. anything else that might cause this ?

SKYLORDD

Cadet

I'll be home tomorrow evening and will shoot the engine serial # to you. As far as the crank sensor , the first time it stopped I sat for about 3 minutes and it started back up. the second time when I got back near dock and boat had run longer it wouldnt fire. it just cranked until I slipped it into forward as it was cranking and it caught and went.

Fun Times

Staff member

the second time when I got back near dock and boat had run longer it wouldnt fire. it just cranked until I slipped it into forward as it was cranking and it caught and went.
Is your drive an alpha or bravo?

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This data bus indicator, is that like a check engine light is on a car? As in the ECM has diagnostic trouble codes stored?

Fun Times

Staff member

SKYLORDD, Keep in mind that there are some fuses on the engine by the ECM, one may be bad, also here are two links with some good info to know about,
Engine harness [Archive] - Club Sea Ray
Engine Data Bus - New 250 Pro XS

500dollar744ti, AllDodge said it best on post #2, data bus is the lines of communication the ECM uses to obtain info from the sensors on the engine. The system is just informing him that it has lost communication between the Smartcraft Tachometer and the engine and no information can be provided until communication can be restored.:)

Dtrumpster

Recruit

I had the same thing happen to me earlier this month with my 220 sundeck with a 5.0. I was cruising along and my alarm started to beep twice approx. every 60 seconds. I checked all gauges and everything looked good. As soon as a throttled back to idle to dock the motor shut down and would not restart. Only way I could restart was if I disengaged the prop and moved the throttle forward, then as soon I as I came back to neutral the motor shut down. I also got the data bus message. After a few google searches I found the problem to be the IAC (intake air control valve). I replaced my IAC, put in a new gasket and muffler filter and the motor fired up first try. Takes about 15 minutes to change out. I bought my IAC valve from O'Reillys for half the price of the mercruiser one. Had to order the gasket and filter online.

SKYLORDD

Cadet

I had the same thing happen to me earlier this month with my 220 sundeck with a 5.0. I was cruising along and my alarm started to beep twice approx. every 60 seconds. I checked all gauges and everything looked good. As soon as a throttled back to idle to dock the motor shut down and would not restart. Only way I could restart was if I disengaged the prop and moved the throttle forward, then as soon I as I came back to neutral the motor shut down. I also got the data bus message. After a few google searches I found the problem to be the IAC (intake air control valve). I replaced my IAC, put in a new gasket and muffler filter and the motor fired up first try. Takes about 15 minutes to change out. I bought my IAC valve from O'Reillys for half the price of the mercruiser one. Had to order the gasket and filter online.

Do you have the Part number of the IAC you got from Oreillys and approx cost ?

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would buy or make myself a simple led code tool and get the stored codes out before I started buying parts or sent her to a dealer.

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How to make a Marine EFI Code tool for $2.00

Materials needed:

One 12 volt resistor type LED light
One small paperclip bent in half (U shape)

This home made code tool should work on all GM MEFI 1,2,3 or 4 marine EFI systems with the ten pin DLC (Data Link Connector).

*If you do the steps below wrong you can trash your ecu. If you don't feel confident...stop reading...go buy a scan tool*

How to hook it up:

1) Ignition key “OFF”
2) Remove the cap from the Data Link Connector (DLC)
3) Slide the LED into the female terminals of position E and F on the DLC, making sure that the positive side goes into terminal F and the negative side into terminal E
4) Turn the ignition key to the “ON” position (LED should come on)
5) Insert the half paperclip into terminals A and B – This puts the engine in “Service Mode” - (you will hear fuel pump come on, and code will begin to flash on the LED)
6) Read codes by observing LED flashs. If the self diagnostic system is working it will flash code 12 – one flash, pause, two flashes, long pause – it will repeat three times. If other codes are present they will flash in order of lowest to highest.