2003 stratos swim ladder

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class
looking for a swim ladder that would fit this boat, been looking around but not sure what I should be looking for. or is there a stratos web site that I can should be looking at? getting in from the water is a bit challenging ......sorry it's side ways.

1z1dw60.jpg

Last edited:

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2003 stratos swim ladder

looks good. but you think the hold down bolts will hold with the weight of someone climbing up? doesn't say the ladder load rate. looks like a self installer....looks ezy.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I think the issue might be what sort of backing is under the spot on the platform where it would be mounted. At a minimum, you'd probably want to put in a metal or wood backer plate inside the boat to distribute the load. On mine, I actually glassed in a couple pieces of plywood to stiffen up that part of the platform. As long as you use some decent-sized bolts, I wouldn't worry too much about their ability to hold.

My ladder has handled grown men of about 250 pounds climbing out. It's quite strong. (Mine is a Windline like the one in the link.)

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking about the same issue as you said ....thinking where the bolt are, I would lie wood or something under that surface and bolt to it . Then the pull from the ladder would distribute that whole area. Plus with some heavy duty hardware.
What do you think? Thinking 1/2" marine grade.

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I would use what the boat manufacture used and with the proper support. I'm sure it was an option, go with what they used, and for sure make sure the platform core is strong enough.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I was thinking about the same issue as you said ....thinking where the bolt are, I would lie wood or something under that surface and bolt to it . Then the pull from the ladder would distribute that whole area. Plus with some heavy duty hardware.
What do you think? Thinking 1/2" marine grade.

I think a backer to distribute the load is a good idea; I would probably even consider slathering on some marine-grade epoxy (e.g., MarineTex) and really making the backer board and the platform one solid piece. As for hardware, I used stainless steel bolts, the largest that would fit thru the holes on the ladder bracket. I think I used 1/4". (My installation of the ladder is detailed starting around post #164 in my resto thread, which is linked in my signature below.) I had some help from someone who gave me a formula to calculate the force on the bolts, and 1/4" turned out to be plenty strong. I think the holes on the ladder bracket might have accepted a 5/16" bolt, but the current ones are doing fine. (When I get home, I'll see if I can figure out which size I actually ended up using. I'm pretty sure it was 1/4".)

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Probably not quite as good as the ladders you would find on a typical bow rider, but these are quite popular for bass boats.

All Aboard Ladder Home Page

Looks very easy to install too.