2003 Johnson 115 DFI won't shift into gear

saffi

Seaman Apprentice
It's been a while since I've been here. I have a 115 Johnson DFI 4 stroke that won't shift into gear. I went out fishing today and near my home we thought we had a fish so I shifted back to neutral and reverse to find I did't have any reverse. No bad noise or anything. Also forward is gone. I always had a bit of trouble getting it properly in gear, I have to move the lever a bit over just idle for it to "catch". Since no "bad sounds" or indications that the gears are gone I suspect linkage from cable to gear but I haven't got a clue where to look. This is my second Johnson 115 DFI and I never worked on this engine. Apart from the last one basically exploding on me (due to bad repair) I really like these engines. I understand it is basically a Suzuki DFI with white paint and there is some flaw in the lower unit I haven't experienced yet..

Since it's in the water I can't really work on the lower unit but I have some questions:

Is the gear linkage a direct line? It almost looks like a electronic line to me. Where can I find the linkage on the engine. Since I didn't have time today (had to get towed in before a thunderstorm) I haven't checked the obvious, the gear lever. Basically I'm asking where on the engine to look for the gear shifting cable and it's connection to the actual gears.... Sorry to sound a bit blue.. I can take apart my old 2-25HP johnson's or Evinrudes 2 strokes blindfolded but this beast has me puzzled ;)

saffi

Seaman Apprentice
I have to get out to take a picture of the plate but it is obscured by a swing for wakeboarding. On the bill it says Johnson 115 EFI and I did check the serial when I bought it: 25022937. It was a bit late last night so I had problem finding words but my main question is: Where on the engine can I find a linkage to a pushrod or something like that so I can check if lever is functioning. Thanks for reading!! When looking up the model I found this youtube clip and it basically answers my question. It's below exhaust manifold I think on the right side of the engine. I'll check later today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZh2exhEI9Q

saffi

Seaman Apprentice
Well, unfortunately the easy option is out. I see the lever moving forward and backward. So now it's down to the rest of the mechanism and in the water there's little I can do I'm afraid. Is there some inspection hole at the side to see the rod (like I'm used to on the older models)? And how likely is it I messed up the complete gear without at leas some grinding noise of gears "catching" only half etc...?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
on "regular" Johnson motors, the shift rod passes thru a cover. The cover can corrode and grab the shift rod, making gear changing difficult or impossible. Not sure what your motor has.

daselbee

Commander
This LU shifts with a twisting action of the shift rod. Not up and down.

You can inspect the mechanical linkage just above the LU in the front where there is a large, say 1", gap between the LU and the midsection.
You could do it in the water by just feeling down there, and having someone shift it. The rod will turn if all the linkage above it is intact.

If the rod turns, and the LU still doesn't shift, Uh Oh.

In that case, something has broken internal to the gearcase. This particular problem would require a complete gearcase teardown.
Not a simple fix.

daselbee

Commander
Oh yeah....this problem can be "caused" by the operator if you have removed the LU for waterpump service, and twisted the shift shaft that protrudes from the top of the LU case in the front. It is splined. If for some reason someone twisted that rod, the shift cam can now be way out of place.

Is that what really happened?

Last edited:

saffi

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, I will try and find the gap but if nothing happens how will I know if I'm in the right place? ;) This happened on the water about 300 metres from home (luckily). We were trawling with two fishing lines and we thought we had a bite (but the lure just got stuck). I shifted into neutral when the line started slipping and into reverse when engine speed came up but nothing happened. The engine was a bit tilted up since it's a bit shallow at that point. No noise, nothing. Usually you would hear a "clunck" when the gear catches. I put some 50 hours on the engine since I bought it two years ago. It hasn't been serviced.

saffi

Seaman Apprentice
And from experience on the "old" Johnson engines I had I know it can be a pain to align the shift rods so you can connect them when putting the LU back on..... Hence my question if there's an "inspection" hatch or hole like the old engines had to do just that.....

saffi

Seaman Apprentice
I cannot seem to upload an image. I found the "rod" that goes down and the gap (I think, took a picture but can't seem to upload). Should it turn (seems most likely) or go up and down on shifting gear? To my relieve it does nothing. There's another small gap just below engine cowling bottom where it's visible and also there I can see no movement on shifting the gear. So question is, What's between the linkage just below exhaust manifold and the pin going down and how do I get to it?

daselbee

Commander
Look your engine up on brownspoint DOT com. It is the same as Df115 Suzuki. The sections you want to study are "Clutch Shaft" and "Clutch Rod".

I answered most of your questions in post #6. Not sure why you are asking again.....

saffi

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for the site adres. I guess it could be as simple as a cotter pin missing from the shift arm. I'll try and google my way through removing the engine cover on that side.. But I won't do that in the water... And my excuses for asking the question again. I read your post, ran outside to check and posted back before I re-read your post... I really appreciate all your help!

saffi

Seaman Apprentice
OK, final post. Turned out to be connection to clutch rod. Had to put in some work on the water. Lost some tools, had to borrow magnet to get it back but in the end boat is back in business. Also, the connection to the clutch rod is something someone made himself and didn't do a very good job so I made it better. Sorry I made a fuss but I just don't know these "new" engines so I was apprehensive to start. With hindsight it was the easiest job ever. I guess you all knew but I didn't so was happy with clues..

Have a nice weekend!!

daselbee

Commander
OK...so I have a novel idea. Get familiar with your engine. Locate that big gap between the LU and the mid and feel that rod turning when you shift.
Learn how to remove the lower cowlings.
Just get familiar with how and what the engine does in normal operation.

saffi

Seaman Apprentice
Actually in stripping down the engine (cowlings) today I had a good look at it and it's basically not that complicated. Apart from sensors everywhere all basic stuff is very much out in the open. So I took the one step of getting familiar. Also learned how to remove cowlings and the rest will follow hahaha...

Just wondering, does this engine have an OBD socket somewhere? I guess it does but is it easily accessible? I would like to put a Bluetooth dongle in there to monitor the engine..