2002 nissan 40/disconnect fuel line

lewkster

Seaman
I am asking about a 2002 nissan 40 non tldi. The question is, is it safe to disconnect fuel line to run carbs dry for storage in between useage? I was under the impression since it is oil injected the engine is still safe, plus empting carbs helps stop carb slugde build up. <br /> The dealer told me this was the best way to shut it down for storage periods.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 2002 nissan 40/disconnect fuel line

Always run the gas out at the end of the day. It is 100% safe.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't know where the Tohatsu (Nissan) injects oil into the stream, but if it is before the carb you are looking for a bowl with a pool of oil in it and possible major starting/sludge problems.<br /><br />Your oil injection system depends on gasoline to carry/distribute the oil to parts that need lubrication. If you stop the gas and continue the oil you are asking for trouble.

lewkster

Seaman

good point as I dont know where it oil injects myself.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It injects before, but the amount of oil put into the system at an idle is so small as to not be an issue. The oil dilutes with the remaning fuel and is completely used with no oil left in the bowls. I'm not familiar with the Evinrude oil injection systems (I've heard that they do tend to be hard to restart after running then dry) , but it is not a problem to run any of the Japanese oil injected engines out of gas. Suzuki and Yamaha have their oil injected after the carbs on some models. Those do not have a problem either. Think of it as a light fogging.