2002 Mercury 40 ELPTO occasionally not starting

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just looking for opinions, possible solutions. My 40hp Mercury always fires right up and runs great but on occasion will not start after starting up and shutting down repeatedly (maybe off and on 5-8 times and going only 1/4 speed or even less during those times). Sometimes I will have problems starting, but then the motor ends up turning over. Sometimes I may have to let it sit for a bit. I guess my question is - Should I take her in for service and have my carb serviced or continue running her as is? Again, it only happens on occasion, but I would hate to have it not start at all one day. I appreciate your thoughts and opinions on what I can or should do. Thanks.

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 Mercury 40 ELPTO occasionally not starting

Anyone? Somebody mentioned to me that they have the same motor and that they have the same problem with the motor not starting intermittently. They suggested making not even a 1/4 turn on each carb. I have never made any adjustments to motor. Is this something that I can easily do or try or could I make matters worse?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What is your hot and cold starting procedure? Just turning the key is not the proper starting procedure unless the engine is warm (turned off for less than 15 minutes or so). cold engines typically require use of the push-to-choke and fast idle lever. If the engine doesn't start when warm, use the fast idle lever.

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never really even thought of that and how I go about starting after inital cold start. I don't usually use push to choke or fast idle lever after initial cold start. I may have to start using choke and/or fast idle when she doesn't want to turn over immediately before flooding. Thanks.

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok. Happened to me again out on the Susquehanna Flats Sunday night and it got dark real quick. The motor was running fine all day on a very hot day and then after sitting for some time (as I was using the trolling motor for an extended period) it would not start. I could not get the motor started and ended up flooding it. I had to use my trolling motor against the tide and I wasn't moving very fast. After trying several times to start the motor after letting it sit several different times, I was finely able to get it to start. I got back to the launch at 9:30pm and almost hit three big marker buoys while driving back in the dark. Why does this motor not start at times? It always starts right up on cold starts using choke and fast idle lever and USUALLY starts right up afterwards. I tried everyting. Why does this motor not start on ocassion? I've talked to a few people that have the same motor and they all have said it is the nature of this motor. Is there anything that I can do? Someone suggested adjusting the amount of fuel that enters bowl slightly. I don't want to mess with it too much as it usually starts and runs perfect. Thanks for the help.

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks.