2002 Merc 90hp 2 stroke won't idle after winter storage.

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I sold my boat to a friend and of course it won't idle after telling him the boat has never had an issue for me. Anyway, the boat wasn't used much the last few years but it was used twice last year and it did idle fine my last time out. I fogged the engine and I did put seafoam in the tank but I am not sure if I let it run enough to get to the carbs. My instinct is that the ethanol gas lacquered up in the carb causing my idle issue. She runs great at top end. I was going to give it a heavy mix of seafoam to gas ratio and try to get it into the carbs to soak overnight but after that I don't know where to start looking if that doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The dose of Sea Foam sounds like a quick and dirty, inexpensive potential solution. Just give it time to soak in before you make any decisions...like do a "decarb" explained here in archives or www it. Do it one day and wait a day or two and run with 2 oz per gallon for a couple of hours at the higher speeds to get a lot of flushing.....that's what I'd do as I am a "don't fix it it it ain't broke" guy. SF has proven itself to me over the years and hearing about it right here on iboats........

You might pop the plugs and check them. Had you said WOT problems I'd have added replace the main fuel filter and cut it open to see what's in it.