2002 Johnson Bombardier 90hp Outboard

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Potentially buying a fishing boat with a 2002 Johnson Bombardier 90hp Outboard.
Looking for a second opinion since I have no experience with Bombardier outboards.
Only experience is with SkiDoo snowmobiles that use Isoflex in the crank bearings.
Are the outboards the same? If they are, I don't want it.

If not, any experiences or insights, about this engine, would be greatly appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Bombardier took over Johnson and Evinrude.------So that engine is the same as a 1995 model Johnson or Evinrude V-4 with a 60 degree block.----I do not know what an Isoflex bearing is ?-----The bearings in the outboards by them are very , very good quality !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are no bearings on that JOHNSON that need attention from the owner.------Quality bearings are all inside the engine and get lubrication from oil that is mixed into the fuel.----Oil is mixed by automatic injection.----Or by mixing at 50:1 if oil injection system is bypassed.

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks. Hope to possibly pick up this week end. Here's the motor.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
18 yr old motor would be pretty new to me -- but still has an old impeller if not recently changed. Change it out if any uncertainty.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Totally off topic, as I’ve done a few sleds with the isoflex grease in the crank bearings in the bottom ends and put thousands of miles on them hassle free....why would you that steer you away?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
well…..it is 18 years old normal caution needed here

before the bucks leave your wallet …why not…

1- get compression tested to confirm none of the cyl. are way off the rest … probably above 120lbs each ...get the specs ...a bad cyl may indicate cyl scoring, bad rings, bad head gasket etc... the usual stuff

2- Not certain it may be a FICHT with pre E-TEC EMM which should looked at by a certified mechanic who "wants to look at it" (check for error codes- log for anything suspect)

3- Can you try it…? start it see if it runs ok can you go for a good ride at WOT idles down ok?

4- the power distribution panel has a history of cold solder joints...not a show stopper but needs to be considered down the road if you have problems ( any bad solder joints can be simply resoldered ..easy fix apparently …)

5- inspect gearcase oil for contamination (water)

rig look clean, well kept as well as the engine… good sign

if it runs like my 2005 ETEC .... great stuff :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
For 2002 Johnson only offered the simple carbureted 90 HP as a carbureted 60 degree V-4 model.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
yep !!! evinrudes were injected :cower:

Johnson'S stiil had carbs....:facepalm: according to that marine parts diagram ... place

less things to go bad :)

thanks for pointing it out :sorry:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Had some experience over the last 20 yrs repairing solder joints on old Mercedes circuit boards (climate control in particular). It's one of those fixes that might be overlooked -- simple fix, that can be the difference between a system failing and running like it was meant to do. The catch is that you need to be able to recognize that as the problem, or you can end up spending big $$$$. Getting a mechanic's inspection on the front end is good advice.