2002 Evinrude 200 Problems

hoffstock

Recruit
Hi, I ran my boat ('88 GW Tournament 19) out of gas last weekend trying to get to the only gas dock around and have since had problems with fuel delivery. I tried changing the fuel/water seperating filter thinking maybe it was clogged but no luck. Basically what is happening is that if I prime my bulb good the motor will run for a couple minutes at cruising speed and then bog down and die. When I check the bulb again after the motor has died it is completely deflated and very difficult to work fuel back into it. Could this mean that I have a blockage in the line somewhere or could it be the fuel pump? It seems to me that if the bulb is being sucked down flat then the pump is pulling a good amount of fuel but there is a blockage somewhere. I've heard of there being a small screen in the fuel line just after the tank. Is it possible that I clogged the screen when I ran the tank dry? The first time I changed fuel/water filter there was a fair bit of junk in there. Any thoughts help. Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002 Evinrude 200 Problems

The deflated bulb points to obstruction brefore the bulb or in the bulb itself. It is possible that you picked up some gel or debris from the empty tank that otherwise would have floated above the pickup screen in the tank.

If you can easily access the outlet on the fuel tank, you may want to check the pickup and also the anti-siphon valve. The anti-siphon valve is in the metal fitting to which the outgoing fuel line is attached at the tank. It usually consists of a ball bearing, a spring and a seat.

hoffstock

Recruit

My tank is built-in and I haven't pulled it out of the water yet, but I'll give it a look this afternoon. Can the pick-up be located on the top of the tank? There are two floor hatches above the tank, but it seems to me the pickup would be on the bottom. Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

There is normally a cover plate which has a pipe attached that runs to the bottom of the tank and turns horizontally for the pickup. An elongated cylindrical screen is usually fitted there.

At the outside top of the tank a fitting is threaded into the cover plate to form the hose barb for the outgoing fuel line. The anti-siphon valve is contained within that fitting.

You can usually inspect the ant-siphon valve by disconnecting the hose and unscrewing the fitting.

The anti-siphon valve is a Coast Guard requirement to prevent the fuel in the tank from being siphoned out in the event of a leak. They are extremely easy to foul because of their design. If all of your fuel system, including the engine part is above the tank, the valve is not required and can be removed.