2002 Evinrude 115 Ficht E115FPLSNF - Fuel return rail replacement

CableGuy1978

Seaman
Hello,
Had a fuel leak a couple of weeks ago from the schrader valve on the fuel return line. I have a replacement return fuel rail. Just looking for tips on how to remove the old one.

Is there a trick to removing the lines from the fuel injectors? They look as though they just pull out but I don’t want to force them

Is there a trick for the mainline with the red connectors, they look as though you push the red part in the uncouple them.

After the new rail is installed is there anything I should know before starting it up?

Thanks very much!

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
don,t know much about the rest but very carefull $$$$$ on the return VST nipple and change the VST conical filter inside the VST return nipple . they crack easy so go easy . check your PM's

the HS pump and rail should be full of fuel so starting up should go smooth ... experts on FICHT may chime in ...

CableGuy1978

Seaman
Thanks very much for the reply! I did some searching and sifting through the internet, and rereading my Evinrude shop manual for anything I may have missed, and I figured it out. I made the repairs, and she's back up and running like she used to, and no more fuel leaks. Checked schrader on new manifold and fuel sprayed out. The missing piece to the puzzle was removing the fuel injector retainer as it holds the fuel manifold lines in place in the injectors. I'll elaborate below on how I did it in case someone else finds themselves in the same boat so to speak. I have included a couple of pics as well.

- remove lower engine cover 5 or 6 bolts in my case
- disconnect spark plug wires and move out of way, also any other wiring or plugs that may be blocking the way to the manifolds
- manifolds are zip-tied together, if replacing both intake and return this shouldn't be an issue, I cut mine as I only did the return
- locate the fuel injector retainer, has 2 3/8 bolts (blue arrows in attached pic), and loosen retainer off so that manifold lines can be pulled out of injector.
- push in new manifold lines into injector until they seat - remember white are intake, and black are return - see red arrows in the one pic.
- replace the retainer on the injector, and tighten back down, 144-168 in/lbs I believe
- to disconnect the main line of the manifold, which has a red clip on it, push the red clip in to unlock the line from the pump. To install new line push on until it red clip snaps into place
- in my case I only did the return manifold, so it was just reassemble things and start it up. Not sure what additional steps are needed if you replaced the intake manifold such as priming the fuel system.

Hope this helps someone else down the road. If there is anything important I left out, or anything of value that can be added please do as I am also trying to learn as much as I can here.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Evinrude Fuel Return Manifold Schrader Valve.jpg
    Evinrude Fuel Return Manifold Schrader Valve.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Fuel Injector Retainer.jpg
    Fuel Injector Retainer.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 0