2001 Reinell 190 with Ford motor and OMC outdrive

pbob42

Cadet
first boat. See references to merc motors. This ford does look pretty meaty sitting there. Any concerns with the ford/omc combo?

alldodge

Staff member
Many are still running today, only concern is age and getting some parts if needed

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.....

The concerns are, Ford is no longer in the marine power business, 'n OMC went belly up back in the '90s,......

pbob42

Cadet
as far as I can tell this came with the merc cruiser and an alpha 1. Someone swapped out the power plant. There is a problem with the ford staying running. Supposedly an electrical issue. Problems when they picked it up, they got it going, then quit after 20 minutes. different mechanic said wiring was the issue.
Seems like whoever put the ford/omc in didn't get it right. Install looks pretty good on the transom, but that OMC is bigger than the alpha 1, so I am a tad concerned that they cut away some of the transom support structure to fit it in.

Bondo

Staff member
as far as I can tell this came with the merc cruiser and an alpha 1. Someone swapped out the power plant. There is a problem with the ford staying running. Supposedly an electrical issue. Problems when they picked it up, they got it going, then quit after 20 minutes. different mechanic said wiring was the issue.
Seems like whoever put the ford/omc in didn't get it right. Install looks pretty good on the transom, but that OMC is bigger than the alpha 1, so I am a tad concerned that they cut away some of the transom support structure to fit it in.
Ayuh,.... Have you bought it, or just lookin' at it,..??

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Is it carbed or fuel injected ? If its fuel injected , that's when you won't be able to find Ford parts.
My Ford is carbed and I've had no issues with getting parts .

pbob42

Cadet
It is carbed. Just looking, but the price us $400 with a nice trailer. Seats are ruff.

pbob42

Cadet
as far as this motor cutting off. Going to put a wrench on it and make sure it is not seized. Could it just be the ignition hot to the motor corroded and cutting off the motor? I'm not seeing a whole lot of complexity in this wiring.

matt167

Captain
contact reinell and see if that year was composit construction to any extent. A full OMC swap is suspect. But a later OMC would basically be a Volvo SX. Depends but I wouldn’t run if the bones were good enough.. but if it’s not composite to any extent, it’s run worthy

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Stringer drives went out in 1985. A stringer in a 2001 boat is just a bunch of Frankenstein parts. Not worth buying unless they give you $2000 so you can pay disposal fees

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Some pictures would help

Only reason being is i kinda wanna see this boat what has an og omc in place of an abated merc setup

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Some pictures would help

Only reason being is i kinda wanna see this boat what has an og omc in place of an abated merc setup
Yeah , pics ! This boat is getting intriguing

If true, that means someone went out of their way to hack up and put a huge stringer hole in an 01 boat.... Talk about bass ackwards haha

matt167

Captain
I wonder if it’s an older boat re titled as a 2001. My 1966 StarCraft holiday is titled as a 1985 with a replacement NY HIN