2001 Mercury 90hp Oil Injection

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2001 Mercury 90 hp that has the oil injection container is on the motor, This is my first Mercury and 'm very use to Evinrudes where the oil container is in the boat...just got the motor checked out and .I was told by the mechanic to disconnect it as quickly as possible..He claims this type of oil injection, will destroy the motor...Now I knew Evinrudes has had some issue, and I went to 50:1 never had an issue..My question is, has anyone had any issues with this type of oil injection blowing up the motor

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes , when the plastic gear on the crankshaft fails / strips out.-------Motor may come to a dynamic halt.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Leave it alone it is a pretty good system that works well. The 3/4 cylinder motors had good systems that do not have a lot of problems. The plastic gear usually fails when the motor is overheated. Like anything else a lack of maintenance is usually the motors biggest enemy. More motors have been destroyed by forgetting to mix than oil injection failures. Did your mechanic tell you how many he has seen fail?

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Those system rarely fail on those models.(its lasted 17 years).....suggest you find a better trained mechanic.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
My Avatar is my last engine, a 2002 90 triple looper Merc. I took the shaft/gear out of the oil pump assy in about the year 2015. Just slept better knowing that I selected how much oil went in the mix. Wasn't having a problem, just at my age, the fewer things to worry about the better. Your engine, your choice. Faztbullet is as good a reference as you can get.