2001 Johnson 225HO Fuel Problem?

rborden1974

Recruit
Good Morning, I have a 2001 Stratos Extreme 20SS with a Johnson 225HO outboard. When I purchased the boat, it ran great and I had it up to 70mph. Last year my check engine light came on, which I read, meant fuel restriction. I changed the pick up tube, check valve on the tank, fuel lines, primer bulb etc...It seems like it isn't getting enough fuel and running very sluggish. Sometimes it won't even plane out and a top speed of 7mph. It seems like there is only a little throttle past idle. I noticed if I pump the primer bulb and then quick start the motor, it will run ok to get it on plane. I changed all my gauges also, and it isn't showing any lights on, but still runs bad. I am just looking for inexpensive things to try before replacing the fuel pump (VRO). Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thank You
Rich

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Rich, Not sure what to tell you. You might take a compression and spark test to rule out engine damage and ignition failure. I would also run that motor on a portable tank with a 50::1 gas-oil mix, until you get your issue straightened out. Pumping the primer bulb will simulate a functioning fuel pump. If that fixes the issue, you might inspect the vapor pump and vapor separator (if you have these items).

rborden1974

Recruit
I don't know if I have a vapor pump or separator. Is it possible to assume the fuel pump isn't creating enough vacuum to supply the fuel it needs?
I think I will definitely try the small can to eliminate the air in the lines idea.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You don't have a vapor anything on that engine....Check the shift interrupter as it will kill one bank of cylinder if stuck.