2000 Yamaha ox66 225hp Maintenance question

Love this motor! Runs like a champ right now. My question is, for the 2 stroke oil, how important is the Yamalube? I have a lot of friends who own yammies and they run the cheap quicksilver oil in theirs with seemingly no problems. I want to take care of this motor and do things correctly. Looking for some wisdom for a rookie Yamaha owner, thanks.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Quicksilver oil is not a cheap oil it is the mercury factory brand it is a quality oil. I believe you have a fuel injected motor not a DFI correct me if I am wrong. Mercury oil will work fine in it. Mercury made fuel injected motors so there oil is fine as any tcw 3 oil would be.

I apologize if I sounded like I was discounting a manufacturers product, that was not my intent. Here in Arkansas the Quicksilver oil is much cheaper than the other brands, hence the terms "cheap quicksilver oil".

Yamalube runs about $40 a gallon. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/yamaha--yamalube-2-cycle-tcw3-engine-oil--P004770764
Quicksilver runs $19.99 http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/qui...stroke-tc-w3-outboard-oil?repChildCatid=10714

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

You are correct it is the ox66 fuel injection

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That is a great price wish I could get it for that I wouldn't hesitate to run that not for that price.

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
If it's been running fine like that for 15 years then keep running that oil....if you suspect there is some carbon in there you could run a heavy dose of Yamaha Ringfree through the motor....

I don't really know much about the motor. I bought it a week ago and have had it on the water 2x. It runs great, idles great. What would be an indicator of carbon in there? I thought about running some sea foam in it just to do it.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Don't do seafoam I have had better luck with Yamaha ringfree, Evinrude carbon guard buy one and follow the directions. Or mercury power tune is very good and pretty much a once a year deal.

Last edited: