2000 Maxum 2300 SC Marine Survey Results

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
We just purchased a Maxum 2300 paired with a 7.4l and BIII outdrive. As part of the pre-purchase agreement we had a detailed marine survey completed. The boat surveyed very well with no delaminations or rot. Not bad for a 17 year old boat!

I post this because we were hesitant to consider this boat based on the information we encountered on internet while researching the Maxum. Some people seem to speak poorly of the brand and consider it a sub-par boat. I guess that makes us a lower tier family who is looking forward to having a lot of fun on the water this summer.

We have not had a chance to try it choppy conditions, but based on the hull with 22 degrees of deadrise we are optimistic that it will ride well. Top speed is approx 50mph, which seems a little slow compared to other models such as the Rinker 232 (which testing indicates closer to 60 mph). Perhaps this is due to the deeper V?

We would appreciate any advice or information people care to offer.

southkogs

Staff member
Max isn't a bad boat, just not a fancy boat. Add on that it's 17 years old, and honestly it's all about condition.

As to speed: are you checking speed on a GPS or an on board speedometer?

tpenfield

Staff member
Boat brand bashing should always taken with a grain of salt. Lots of people think their brand of boat is the best and others not so much. Soon, you'll be able to share your real-world experiences to add to the Internet folklore.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Maxum were acceptable level boats. 17 years old in the marine world is maybe five years in the auto world just strictly speaking to the extremely slow pace of the industry...not any sort of hours to miles comparison. At 17 years, I'd expect near perfection with close to zero signs of wear and tear which is where the higher levels of materials tend to show their superiority in certain brands versus others. Possibly a very small amount of dock rash and near zero other signs of use other than possibly the carpet backing showing its age and dated tech if it is original. This is what I see in my state where at the most a boat has a 90 day window of use per year and in reality usually used less than 30 and much of that floating with the engines off. My point being your paradigm of a 17 year old boat can very dramatically by region. Down south in the sun and of course in the salt things will vary greatly.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Max isn't a bad boat, just not a fancy boat. Add on that it's 17 years old, and honestly it's all about condition.

As to speed: are you checking speed on a GPS or an on board speedometer?

On GPS is around 50 mph. We are ok with not being fancy as long as it is built well structurally and mechanically.

The boat is in near perfect condition. There is some minor cosmetic stuff and I agree the accessories could be a little better built (such as the tables) but all it is a comfortable boat for day tripping or even the occasional overnight.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Maxum and I love it. Does everything I want it to. As long as you are happy with it and it is what you want, go have some fun!!!

Prop Buster

Cadet
We just repowerd our 1995 2400 SCR Maxum boat two weeks ago. Upgraded a bit to the 5.7 L engine. Problem I'm facing with this boat is I can't get any information about the fuse box and what fuse goes to what item. Looked everywhere.......Other than that the Boat served us well al these years.. just can't find info on this boat becaue of the age I guess...even at Maxum owners club they couldn't help....good luck !