2000 5.0GI PEFS Fuel Pump O-rings

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm having a fuel pump issue on one of my engines, and rather than spend $700 to buy the entire Fuel Cell, I took everything apart to clean it out. Now, I need the two O-rings for the bottom of the vapor separator. Of course, these O-rings aren't available at the VolvoPentaStore

Anyone know the size of these O-rings, and/or where I might get them?

Here's an interesting thread with some discussion about the fuel pump issues
http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...roach-volvo-penta-fuel-cell-5-0gi-545407.html

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2000 5.0GI PEFS Fuel Pump O-rings

Thank you for that link.

Material concerns me a bit since it's a gasoline seal in the engine compartment. It seems that the existing O-rings didn't care much for carb cleaner and it warped them. That was probably a rookie mistake.

Fun Times

Staff member

The O-rings online are rumored to be metric! If so, the size may be 3mm x 73mm if remembered correctly by the poster.

Another rumor was thought to be,
AS568-037 (2-1/2" ID x 1/16" cross section), 2 req'd
AS568-039 (2-3/4" ID x 1/16" cross section), 2 req'd
AS568-112 (1/2" ID x 3/32" cross section), 4 req'd
O-ring sources,
McMaster-Carr
Viton O-Rings

Keep in mind that these are just online rumors with no valid accuracy. A few posters have said to been successful by carefully reusing the original O-rings by lightly greasing them to help hold them in place during reinstallation.

If you do open yours up, maybe you could figure out the correct measurements and post them for future reference.:)

Good luck.:)

DCinVA

Seaman Apprentice

If you know the part numbers, you can look on the Volvo penta parts website.
Parts - Parts & Service : Volvo Penta
The bad news is if the part number has been superceded, the Volvo penta parts store does not help, it assumes you know the current number, and does not provide a new number.
The good news is if you have the part number, you can go to marinepartsexpress.com and they will provide the superceded number. You may have to go through several iterations to get to the current number, but it does work.

I would be very surprised if Volvo no longer provides O-Rings for their fuel systems.

Good Luck
Dave

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you know the part numbers, you can look on the Volvo penta parts website.
Parts - Parts & Service : Volvo Penta
The bad news is if the part number has been superceded, the Volvo penta parts store does not help, it assumes you know the current number, and does not provide a new number.
The good news is if you have the part number, you can go to marinepartsexpress.com and they will provide the superceded number. You may have to go through several iterations to get to the current number, but it does work.

I would be very surprised if Volvo no longer provides O-Rings for their fuel systems.

Good Luck
Dave

Unfortunately, this fuel pump isn't "user serviceable" so they don't offer internal parts (O-rings, etc). Check the link in my original post pointing to the fuel pump in the Volvo Penta Store.

mcgradypilot

Cadet

I would recommend these from Harbor Freight. I used them on my high pressure pump (I have the "other system" that is serviceable but the O rings are not well stocked at VP dealers). 180 Piece Viton O-Ring Kit

DCinVA

Seaman Apprentice

Unfortunately, this fuel pump isn't "user serviceable" so they don't offer internal parts (O-rings, etc). Check the link in my original post pointing to the fuel pump in the Volvo Penta Store.

Oh, I see your dilemma here. I should have clicked on your link and discovered this myself. I just ordered fuel pump seals for my
1995 7.4GiIHUBCE and clicking on your link made me realize that my fuel pump setup is just like yours, and not the same as the Volvo Penta parts diagram for my engine. WTF? I would be very interested in what you find out, and how you resolve your issue. Yesterday while out in the boat I smelled fuel, and found a bit of fuel on the bottom of the pumps. I left the hatch open and went back to the dock. Once at the dock, no sign of a leak at all. I need to remove / disassemble / and reseal this unit. Let us know what you discover.

Thanks
Dave

Last edited:

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class

mcgradypilot said:
I would recommend these from Harbor Freight. I used them on my high pressure pump (I have the "other system" that is serviceable but the O rings are not well stocked at VP dealers). 180 Piece Viton O-Ring Kit
I have the HNBR O-ring kit from Harbor Freight, and they fit the fuel pumps themselves, but none of the kits have rings large enough for the vapor separator.

Onward goes the search...

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh, I see your dilemma here. I should have clicked on your link and discovered this myself. I just ordered fuel pump seals for my
1995 7.4GiIHUBCE and clicking on your link made me realize that my fuel pump setup is just like yours, and not the same as the Volvo Penta parts diagram for my engine. WTF? I would be very interested in what you find out, and how you resolve your issue. Yesterday while out in the boat I smelled fuel, and found a bit of fuel on the bottom of the pumps. I left the hatch open and went back to the dock. Once at the dock, no sign of a leak at all. I need to remove / disassemble / and reseal this unit. Let us know what you discover.

Thanks
Dave

This looks like your engine diagram - Fuel System And Lower Intake Manifold 7.4GIPHUSCE, 7.4GIIHUBCE - 7797019 - Volvo Penta

Definitely not the same as my fuel pump setup. You sure your engine is 7.4GiIHUBCE? If you have your engine serial number, you can search it here to verify Publication search - Publication Search : Volvo Penta

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The O-rings online are rumored to be metric! If so, the size may be 3mm x 73mm if remembered correctly by the poster.

Another rumor was thought to be,
AS568-037 (2-1/2" ID x 1/16" cross section), 2 req'd
AS568-039 (2-3/4" ID x 1/16" cross section), 2 req'd
AS568-112 (1/2" ID x 3/32" cross section), 4 req'd
O-ring sources,
McMaster-Carr
Viton O-Rings

Keep in mind that these are just online rumors with no valid accuracy. A few posters have said to been successful by carefully reusing the original O-rings by lightly greasing them to help hold them in place during reinstallation.

If you do open yours up, maybe you could figure out the correct measurements and post them for future reference.:)

Good luck.:)

Thanks for looking these up. I had seen the posts that you referenced here, but couldn't find them again. I think 3mmx73mm is too large of a cross-section for the vapor separator. I'm having trouble finding my caliper to take my own measurements. Will definitely update this thread when I make a determination.

DCinVA

Seaman Apprentice

You can see my issue. Albemarle sent me the engine serial number, I looked it up and found the diagram you referenced. However when I look at the fuel cell, it is clearly not the one in the diagram for a 7.4GiIHUBCE. It was my understanding that the engine was original to the boat and I have documents showing a complete overhaul in December 2012. I guess I need to dig deep into the engine bay and find the actual serial number on the engine to see what I really have. Nothing is ever as simple as we would like.

I looked at all the 7.4 parts lists and the only one that looks like my fuel setup is the 7.4GiIPEFS. Weird.

Dave

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess I need to dig deep into the engine bay and find the actual serial number on the engine to see what I really have. Nothing is ever as simple as we would like.

Dave

Hopefully won't be too bad. I think I found mine on a metal plate mounted to the big circuit breaker box at the top/front of the engine near the starboard exhaust riser.

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used 3mm x 61mm BUNA-N 70 O-rings and they seem to do the trick. I actually bought several other sizes (59mm, 59.5, 60, 62 and 63). The 3mm X 61mm were the ones that I went with here: 3mm X 61mm Metric Buna-N 70 O-ring [N3.00X061] : The O-ring Store - O-rings, Seals, Kits, Metric and AS568, We make getting your O-rings easy!

One caution - be sure to place a thin film of oil on the O-rings so that the housings go together easier. Even with oil coating, the vapor separator housing was a PITA to get together. I got everything lined up and pressed together the best I could by hand, then used the screws to pull it all together (walking around the assembly a couple of turns at a time). I felt one of the screws begin to strip out and immediately stopped, finished it off with a rubber mallet to seal the gap, then tightened the screws down the rest of the way.

Took the boat out yesterday and all seems to be happy!

DCinVA

Seaman Apprentice

This is great news, thanks.
I took mine apart yesterday, and plan to order O-rings today.
I concur that the 3x61 is the correct size per my measurements. I did notice that there are two of this size on the top, and two on the bottom, for a total of 4 required. The 3x61 rings seal the cooling jacket from the fuel compartment.
In addition to the 3x61 O-rings there is an additional o-ring that seals the water jacket, to prevent it from leaking into the bilge. One on the top and one on the bottom (total of 2). My measurement on this "outer" o-ring is 2mmx72mm. Again, two are required.

On disassembly I did notice pealing paint on the inside, my screens were mostly clear, just a small amount of debris but not clogged.
My reason for disassembly was that I had a small fuel leak. I was never able to determine exactly where it was coming but it was dripping from the low pressure pump, near the pressure test port. I do see a bit of corrosion in the socket that the low pressure pump fits into. I will clean this up with a little fine abrasive before reassembly.

DCinVA

Seaman Apprentice

Here is my final inventory of the o-rings required to service the fuel cell discussed above.

2 - 2mm x 11mm (id) - Low pressure pump (sourced from the o-ring store
4 - 3mm x 12.5mm (id) - low and high pressure pump (VP part number 3853642)
2 - 2mm x 70mm (id) - seals water jacket (o-ring store)
4 - 3mm x 61mm (id) - seals water jacket from fuel cell (o-ring store)

Tips
Remove high pressure pump first.
Then remove the bottom cap from the fuel cell.
My screws were pretty corroded, so I used lots of PB_Blaster, took it slow, let it soak a long time, finally able to remove screws without breaking them.
Once bottom plate is off, low pressure pump can be removed.
I never did get my top cover off, it was very corroded and stuck on there really good. As my objective was to fix a fuel leak at the bottom of low pressure pump, I just left the top of the fuel cell intact.
Once the pumps are out you can check the screens, and clean them as needed. Mine were pretty clean, but I shot a bit carb cleaner in there to clean whatever debris that was in there out.
I cleaned mine up as best I could, including using a brass brush to clean up the o-ring groves and mating surfaces on the fuel cell itself. There was a bit of corrosion that came off as a white powder.
I also cleaned it up as best I could with some q-tips soaked in a bit of carb cleaner.
When installing the new O-rings, use a bit of white lithium grease on the O-rings and all the mating surfaces, this allows it to slide in place nicely.
The whole process is not that hard really. The most difficult part is getting it apart without breaking the screws off.