2000 200 XL Mercury Carb - Needle Settings

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Last summer I picked up a new-to-me carb'd 200 XL. It was a running take-off that had been sitting for 3-4 months. After installing it fired right up. Prior to putting it in the water we tried again and had a heck of a time getting it to start. It would crank but would not fire. It was also not flooding as the plugs were dry. The mechanic suspected a stuck float so he smacked the carb a few times, we go fuel flow back, and away we went.

Towards the end of the season I would get the same symptoms if the boat sat more than about a day. The assumption was that the carbs needed a good clean and rebuild. Fast forward six months and I finally got around to tearing them down. I have one rebuilt and one currently soaking. So far there is nothing noticeable. No gunk, varnish, etc. I have noticed the fuel lines between the carbs are very hard and do not want to come off. Will be replacing those.

Of the first two carbs, the needles seem to be set right around 1 3/4 turns out from seated. The manual seems to call for 1 1/8 - 1 3/8 turns. A few questions:

1. Should I go with what it was set to or change to the factory spec?

2. Does this mean I was running rich or lean?

3. Any other items to check while I have it opened up?

JDusza

Ensign
Manual settings are "nominal" settings. Performance is then tuned on the water, under load.
You may or may not notice a change in performance between the manual and existing settin gs. They are only about a quarter turn different. You may or may not be able to say you were running slightly rich. You want to be very slightly rich for a good hole shot. While you have the carbs open, pay particular attention to the low speed jets. Be sure they remain clear and not blocked as they are reassembled.
J