200 hp optimax (stalling @ idle)

My engine stalls at idle. If it does not stall it sounds like it is missing. Once past idle the engine runs fine. @ 3000 rpm the engine light comes on ( indicating a sensor problem). While crusing the engine runs fine. @ idle it seems like it is missing.
Checked plugs, coils ,crank position sensor. Wires seem ok but did not replace them, but might next time just to eliminate them.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 200 hp optimax (stalling @ idle)

The first think to do on any outboard for troubleshooting is a compression test then a spark check. Do them and get back.Jerry

Ed R

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sounds like faulty tpi sensor .

Update, checked fuel injectors,air pressure and fuel pressure at rails, changed tps, still no good. I dont have a compression tester but ill try to get one. Heard someone with similar problem that had blown head gasket.

BarflyRIB

Cadet

do you have already a solution for stalling?

The solution to this problem was a bad O ring/ head gasket. There is no head gasket, they use O rings for each cylinder. Now engine runs like a top!

Paul

Korbs67

Seaman

Hi Paul, I know this was quite awhile ago, but I was wondering how you knew deduced that your problem was an O-Ring? Was compression low in that cylinder and was there anything else you or the mechanic did to trouble shoot to get to this point? Were you abel to change the Oring or did the mechanic handle it? Just curious and to see if the motor is still running strong. Thank you.