200 HP Merc hard starting hot

JimMM

Seaman Apprentice
1994 Mercury 200HP carbed OG166xxx serial number, starts hard once warmed up. Starts right away cold. To get it started hot, I have to put the idle speed lever way up and let the engine run a while on high idle or else it stalls if I try to put it in gear. When I start it hot or cold, a lot of smoke comes out of the exhaust.

The oil pump gear went a long time ago and I have been using Mercury oil 50:1 premix. I took out the oil pump shaft, but someone said if I didn't take out the bushing it could fall into the engine and raise rim. How does one get the bushing out?

If it sound like a stuck float, where do I get genuine OEM rebuild kits for this outboard? Is there a test to see which carb needs to be rebuilt?

Other than this problem and the oil pump gear, this motor has been very good. I've had some gauges go bad, first the tilt gauge and now the tach quit working, and it looks like the oil warning module is going bad. But the engine itself has been a brute.

Dukedog

Captain
tha pump block off shoulda had a "stem" and o-ring on it that replaces tha pump and pinion gear you pulled out.. pro marine is a good source for parts.. most of their stuff may say aftermarket but it usually comes ina Merc package.. go figure.. do all three carbs.. hard start could be a slight timing/linc n sync issue also and/or a slight fuel problem.. also hearing that some folks hafta pump up tha bulb more often than we use too if they set for more than a few minutes.. I haven't run into that problem myself but some have.....

JimMM

Seaman Apprentice
I didn't install any kind of a pump blockoff, I just took out the shaft with gear and the magnet on it and put the pump back on to cover the hole. Are you saying the pump blockoff has a stem that goes in the bushing and keeps it from falling out?

I went to the pro marine site (the one in central Florida?) ... didn't see any Merc outboard parts, mostly inboard engines and parts.

I'll check the timing/linc n sync and the fuel system. I recently changed all the external fuel lines, but haven't changed the O-rings in the fuel line connectors in a long time. Also just changed the fuel water separator filter and added a glass clear inline filter just before the engine so I can see if dirt or water is trying get into the engine.

Dukedog

Captain
that's strange 'bout PM.. been buying 90% of my V6 parts from 'em for many, many years.. check 'em again, I know they have anything ya want for justa 'bout any V6 from '70's up.. send me your email and I will send ya tha information for findin' tha stuff including tha oiler delete kit.....

Dukedog

Captain
I didn't install any kind of a pump blockoff, I just took out the shaft with gear and the magnet on it and put the pump back on to cover the hole. Are you saying the pump blockoff has a stem that goes in the bushing and keeps it from falling out?

very rare that tha "bushing" comes loose.. usually will if motor is severely over heated..

yeah,tha "kit" has tha plug, o-ring, screws.. tha pieces can be bought individually also.. by information I mean tha web site page.. can't post it on here!

Last edited:

JimMM

Seaman Apprentice
I think I found the correct site, is it the one with usa at the end of pro marine in the url? I searched on oil pump block off kit and it said not found.