2 Stroke 85 Rude 8 hp WONT START HELP!!

sean787879

Seaman Apprentice
I have had this motor for the past 4 years and i have had nothing but problems with it. Now it will not start at ALL. The past 2 years the motor has been very hard to start. It would take about 25 pulls before it would even start to turn over. Now, what happens is that about 25 pulls in the water pump starts working and you can hear the spark plugs going off but still nothing. I am assuming the CARB either needs to be rebuilt or cleaned. What do you think and how much does it cost to clean/rebuild a carb. Thanks -Sean

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2 Stroke 85 Rude 8 hp WONT START HELP!!

That motor should start on about 4-5 pulls cold if every thing is working properly.
Start with a couple simple tests, spark and compression, if they are good move on to the fuel system. Remove the carb and clean it properly, removing all orifices and the core plug on top of the carb and clean all passages. Install a new core plug and gaskets.

sean787879

Seaman Apprentice

Already tested spark&compression they are both fine. I am 99&9/10 sure it is the CARB. I am not the handy type yet so I am going to have it serviced. How much will that cost?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Hard to say, the labor costs are different depending on where you are at. Call the dealer or repair shop that you are going to use, they should give you an estimate for the overhaul.