2 quick questions about deck patch

I have cut a hole in the deck and am ready to put the patch in. I read all the info I needed, but can't seem to find that thread again. So I just have 2 quick questions maybe someone can just answer for me. First, one I have the patch plywood cut to fit, I thought I read somewhere to cover the whole piece and sides in epoxy or resin, without the catalyst. Is that true? Next, the patch is about 3 ft x 6 ft (I am also covering and sealing in the gas tank storage compartment in the floor), how many layers of glass should be used and should I use mat or cloth? Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2 quick questions about deck patch

You always use Hardener. Always precoat the wood first and fill any voids in the wood with filler before applying the resin. R U using Poly or Epoxy? Poly you use mat and Cloth Epoxy just Cloth. Poly I'd recommend two layers of 1.5 oz CSM and a layer of 1708 Biax then a Final layer of CSM. Epoxy, 17 oz Biax and two more coats of Epoxy.

Using poly resin. If I use 4 layers, my only concern is the patch being built up considerable higher than my existing deck?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What is your finished thickness? If it's 3/4" total thickness use 5/8" ply.

That was the plan, but 4 layers seems like it would be a lot thicker than an 1/8".

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I think you'll find it will be just about spot on. You can experiment with a scrap piece to make sure. Poly resin drys in 30 mins so it won't take you long to confirm. The mat is dissolved into the resin so thickness increase is not as much as you might think. The biax will give you some increase. Check it out.

I guess as long as it's close I can float and sand it out and never see a 1/16 or so. Just to clarify, you recommend covering all wood with resin first, using catalyst, letting it dry, and then glassing it? Should I glass the bottom of the ply as well? Is there any point in that?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You Always precoat the wood. All Sides and especially the edges and again "Fill the voids". When using Poly you must always use CSM. Without it the resin will crack and allow water intrusion. On the bottom, after the initial precoat, apply another coat of resin and one layer of CSM. For the Edges Tear the Csm so it has "Hairy" edges. It's a lot easier to wrap it around the edges without getting air bubbles. Edges are very important cuz that's where the water usually gets in. Also once it done make sure to predrill and coat all holes and hardware with 3M 4200 to ensure water cannot get to the wood. Doing this will ensure your repair outlasts you!!!!

One more question...does it have to be one piece of mat or cloth or can I overlap? I ask this because the precut stuff is considerable cheaper to buy two pieces than to buy one big piece. Thanks again for all your help today!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you can use two pieces.....no big deal....

but when you caot the wood with resin for the first time...coat it ,.....wait till it tacks off....then glass it....

dont coat it with resin and wait till cure.....wait till its starting to cure....(getting tacky) then glass it as you would regularly.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What resin are you planning on using. Hopefully not the stuff from the Box Stores or Autozone. That is NOT what you want to use. You need to use quality materials from a fiberglass supply store.

I got it from West Marine. Fiberglass Polyester Resin. They also have the precut mat and cloth at West Marine as well. It will cost me less than half the amount to use the precut pieces.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Did you get laminating resin with NO Wax? What mat and Cloth did you get? What weight? West marine is expensive. Where are you located?

Yes lamination, no wax. I haven't bought the mat or cloth yet, asking questions first. I'm in Florida, I am not sure where else to get it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

One of the best fiberglass suppliers in the country is in West Palm Beach, Florida. www.uscomposites.com
If you don't want to order from them at least get your prices from them, and it is my understanding that West Marine will match them. As I said in my previous post you want 1.5 oz CSM and 1708 Biaxial cloth.

And Laminating resin, no wax? Otherwise I can return it if it's not right I haven't opened it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, uscomposites sells everything you need. Their 435 Laminating resing is what most guys here on the forum use. You might buy some way to put in the last coat of resin. It aids in the cure and makes it dry Non Tacky quickly. Being in Florida shipping will be very reasonable. WM should let you return everything as long as it has not been opened.

Yea I'm going to West Marine tomorrow to either return or get them to match prices, because the link you sent me is less than half the price of WM. What is way?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

LOL I fat fingered it WAX is what I meant.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

US Composites is in West Palm Beach. No retail storefront (due to contractual restrictiins). Online sales only. However, you can pick up your order as I did, and save shipping cost.

Another place in Ft Lauderdale, the largest retail FG dtore in the country, is Fiberglass Coatings, Inc. Friendly, helpful, great section, g coat color matching dept, and will match US Composite's pricing. Its my store of choice now.

Good luck...