2 cycle prohibition vs Bio-degradable oil

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2 cycle prohibition vs Bio-degradable oil

Think of it as flushing a toilet. To get all the crap out, you have to send some fresh water down the drain with it. How's that? ;)

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

However, in order to get rid of all the exhaust, some of the fresh fuel is necessarily expelled out the exhaust port. This is what causes the pollution.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Mecanicaly speaking I understand exactly what you are saying, but had no idea this was happening in a 2 cycle OB.

Your explanations (and Willy's) changes my ole outlook on OB's, 2 cycle oils, or Bio-Oil.

Tx

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Think of it as flushing a toilet. To get all the crap out, you have to send some fresh water down the drain with it. How's that? ;)

10 -4 this is loud and clear ... LOL Anyone who does not undertand this explanation should stay away from OB's ... LOL

Was at an Evinrude dealer today ... got full explanation on e-tech ... now I think I know why it performs better than 4 strokes.

But I presently use small OB's (9 & 15) and If I got it right from the slm they dont make e-tech on small kickers ... or did I get it wrong ?

Same dealer told me it takes a 15 hp 4 strokes to match the performance of a 9.9 hp 2 stroke, so he says if I want 15 hp results with a 4 strokes I should shop for more horse power motor ... Is that a fact ??

They had a Johnson 9.9 hp 4 strokes in the showroom ... these motors are BIG and Heavy .. donno if I want that !

Or else I keep my carb OB's and go fishing with a guilty feeling .. LOL LOL

Tx and have a great day,

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A sign shop that has a computer controlled vinyl lettering cutter will make you a dozen "FOUR STROKE" backless decals for about $15.00. That will take care of 99% of your problem unless you are someone that won't drive 1 mile per hour above the speed limit because it is against the law (-:

At least that is what I heard somewhere <g>

Jim

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A sign shop that has a computer controlled vinyl lettering cutter will make you a dozen "FOUR STROKE" backless decals for about $15.00. That will take care of 99% of your problem unless you are someone that won't drive 1 mile per hour above the speed limit because it is against the law (-:

Jim

LOL LOL LOL LOL

I read better ... make the decals say "E-Tech" LOL

Tx

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Contrary to popular belief, Law Enforcement isn't stupid. Especially the Wardens that make a living in nature. They know the difference and are well informed of what to look for. Cops might be a little more in the dark unless their regular beat is the water. But in waters with conventional 2-stroke bans, you'll be Open Season. :eek:

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Contrary to popular belief, Law Enforcement isn't stupid. Especially the Wardens that make a living in nature. They know the difference and are well informed of what to look for. Cops might be a little more in the dark unless their regular beat is the water. But in waters with conventional 2-stroke bans, you'll be Open Season. :eek:

I was only kidding with Jugautin ... obviously Wardens know what they are doing and most Cops also. Some Federal parks north from where I live used to go as far as taking notes of OB's serial numbers at the entrance gate to compare with reported stolen OB's and to make sure the 9.9's where not disguised 15 hp's with fake decalcs since for most Mfg's these two motor look alike.

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My post was not meant to say law enforcement folks are stupid but there are some cases where the 2 stroke ban on a lake or in the case here a small part of a lake was pushed through by a small but vocal group of radical folks. The city council bowed to their wishes.

We have a lake here that is 12 miles long and the in-city part of the lake is about 1/4 mile long and has the main boat launch. The city has no enforcement presence on the lake as their part is so small and the county law enforcement on the lake will not enforce city ordinances so there is no enforcement for the city no two stroke ordinance. The passage of the ordinance was so unpopular that it is being ignored by law enforcement.

Once in a while one of the group will come to the boat launch and "Ask" people if their engines are two stroke as they are not smart enough to know the difference. Many folks have gone the decal route just to reduce the possibility of confrontation with people with a agenda but no legal authority.

In my case I am old and have Arthritis and I can handle my 56 pound 8 hp Evinrude but I surely could not handle a comparable power four stroke. The decals on the sides of a engine cover add almost no weight at all.

To show how stupid some people are the big selling point for the no two stroke ordinance was to keep the city drinking water clean as it is drawn from this lake. The city part of the lake is at the outflow end and the city water inlet is three miles up the lake toward the inlet in the county part of the lake. No two stroke restrictions there.

OK, down off my soap box (-:

Jim

CATransplant

Admiral

There are some issues with drinking water lakes and two-strokes...not for the oil but for the fuel waste. Some of the additives in gasoline have been linked to health risks.

Where I live, Minneapolis has banned gasoline engines on all the lakes within the city limits. I suspect it's for the benefit of the wealthy folks who have homes on the shores of those lakes, though. They're all into sailing, it seems.

I'm very tempted to get a really big electric for my 12' boat...one of the 48-volt ones and see if it will plane my boat out. That'd show 'em. :D

Actually, I don't mind the restrictions all that much. The lakes are full of fish, and nobody really fishes them, since they can't give up their 250 hp bass boat. More fish for me.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey I buy a lot of what you are writing about ... some communities go overboard when it comes to 2 cycle OB's.

Matter of facts one nice lake north from here are warning all 2 cycle OB owners that the time is near that those engine will be prohibited on the lake.
Yet a whole bunch of rich people on that lake are wake board fanatics and are using big V8 boats to pull ... the dark side is nobody sell gas on that lake so they fill up with jerrycans and spill gas in the lake over and over again each weekend. (I ve seen it done)

So where is the good sense in banning 2 cycles OB's if you are going to spill raw gas ?? I guess money talks huh ?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Jim

Many states do not require boats with 10hp or less to be registered.
Can I apply 8.8hp decals to my 88hp Evinrude?

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jeeperman,

If you are asking for my permission, go right ahead. You will not be breaking any law. Will doing that accomplish anything, probably not.

Jim

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Placing "4-stroke" decals on your 2-stroke would be breaking the law same as placing 8.8hp decals on a 15hp engine.
If I did it to avoid registration requirements, or use on a lake with hp restrictions or engine type restrictions.

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jeeperman,

Your first sentence is not correct. Your second is.

The act of placing a decal on your engine is not against any law. Using that decal to misrepresent what it is is.

The other part of the issue is in the case here the law enforcement community has determined they will not enforce the regulation as they believe it was politically motivated and passed under false pretenses. This I have been told by a local law enforcement supervisor.

This is hardly unusual as there are thousands of regulations that are on the books all over our country that are purposely not enforced. Think immigration. (-:

We all make personal choices every day about what laws we obey and some we don't. That doesn't make us bad people it just means we are normal American citizens. Have you EVER driven one mile over the speed limit.

Jim

CATransplant

Admiral

Jim,

You seem to be saying that because some laws are widely broken that it's OK to break whatever laws you like. While that's good libertarian stuff, I suppose, it doesn't really solve the problem.

I use 2-stroke outboards, and will be unhappy when they get banned. If they're banned on a particular lake, I just go to another lake. When they're banned altogether, I'll get a 4-stroke outboard.

The thing about putting a 4-stroke decal on a 2-stroke outboard, though, is bad advice. You're free to try it, of course, if you think you can get away with it, but advising others to break the law is kinda questionable, I think.

In the first place, I can tell the difference between a 2-stroke and 4-stroke engine just by hearing it go by, and so can the lake patrol. Putting a decal on a 2-stroke is like painting a brown horse white. It won't fool anyone.

You also mention driving over the speed limit. I don't do that. Why? Because I don't like getting traffic tickets. They're expensive, and raise my car insurance rates. So, I obey those laws, just like I obey other laws. If I don't like a law, I try to get it changed. That has worked for me in the past.

You do as you wish, but please don't give advice on a public forum that others break the law. That's bad advice, and not in the spirit of this forum, as far as I can tell.

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CAT,

I don't think you see in my posts me telling anyone to do anything illegal. In my response to Jeeperman I specifically agreed with him that his second sentence regarding misrepresenting what he had was almost surely against the intent of the regulation. What I was trying to say(maybe not successfully) was what was being done in this area regarding one lake and a regulation that some including the law enforcement community think is bogus.

It actually scares me what is going on in this country in the name of the environment, some is good and some is so very bad.

Although I don't consider myself a Libertarian being called one is not as offensive as being called a Li***al. All done in good fun in the spirit of good discussion!!

Jim

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

but if you do go on the lake with a 2 stroke how would the cops catch with there slow 4 strokes?? Lol just joking around.

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the lake I am speaking of the the cops are not a issue. They have orders to NOT enforce the regulation.

Jim

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

so whats the worse that can happen?do they pull you over and say can you please leave sir or what?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

jauguston,
I know what your saying. Sometimes you have to weigh the action against the consquences.

Every time I pay my auto insurance and auto registrations I think of how much the fines are if caught running without them.

I figure if those yahoos with the cardboard sign that says "tag applied for" run around for years can get away with it, I can to.