2.3l omc wont fire

nporter1872

Cadet
i have replaced the coil and points, spark plugs. boat was running great then just stopped and now wont crank, not getting fire out of the coil, changed it twice so that cant be the problem. 2.3l ford omc cobra. any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2.3l omc wont fire

U replace the condenser?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

failed timing belt?
remove distributor cap and crank engine -to see if distributor is even turning.

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you say "won't crank" do you mean it won't turn over at all, or just won't start?

nporter1872

Cadet

i replaced the condenser,timing belt, put a new head on and all new gaskets, it turns over good just wont start. test light wont light up through negative side of coil, unless i disconnect the negative wires, but still nothing at distributor or plugs. was running great then just died.would the timing belt cause it not to fire or just not crank. i am puzzled.

Petty Officer 1st Class

With dizzy cap off,crank engine and does the rotor turn? The 2.3 timing belt is a weak link.

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it sound like it is turning over too easy or fast? If it's the timing belt.. the engine will sound different as it turns over...

You're lucky if it did break, being a non-interference engine, your valves are still good.. take off the cap... and turn it over.. and just because it moves doesn't mean you didn't skip teeth... but no way to check with a timing light or test light- if the rotor ain't turning, the coil isn't going to be doing anything either.. the points make the coil work...

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

or the camshaft broke. Take the distributor cap off and watch it turn as it cranks, just to verify. If it does, it's on to a compression test.

nporter1872

Cadet

thanks for the in put, i'll try that and let yall know what happens.