1st post...really basic Gale cooling question

sunkentreasure

Seaman Apprentice
First of all, I have rebuilt two vintage outboards so far...so I'm beyond the novice stage. Both of these had piston type cooling pumps.

I have a Wards Seaking 1.5 hp model #94GG9003A. I've checked every source I have available and they have an identical number, but with a "B" at the end. Assuming that's close it should be a 1949 or 1950. Cute little thing.

After some initial checks the engine runs very well, with some possible carb cleanup needed. Otherwise smooth and even running little motor. Now the question......With the displacement style impeller used in the Gale engines, does the exhaust have to be below water to assist the cooling water flow (partial vacuum assist)? I've run it in a 10 gallon test bucket at this point and due to the height of my stand, the exhaust is exposed (but the pump inlet is below water). The engine gets pretty hot after only a minute or so, enough that I wouldn't want to keep my hand there at all and I shut it down immediately. I've made sure the passages are clear and the original impeller is in good shape (it WILL be replaced). Completely took the lower end apart and verified all gaskets are good also.

This may be normal if the lower end isn't submerged enough so maybe I'm worried about nothing and just need to put it behind my boat....but I thought I'd better ask first!:redface:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1st post...really basic Gale cooling question

First of all, I have rebuilt two vintage outboards so far...so I'm beyond the novice stage. Both of these had piston type cooling pumps.

I have a Wards Seaking 1.5 hp model #94GG9003A. I've checked every source I have available and they have an identical number, but with a "B" at the end. Assuming that's close it should be a 1949 or 1950. Cute little thing.

After some initial checks the engine runs very well, with some possible carb cleanup needed. Otherwise smooth and even running little motor. Now the question......With the displacement style impeller used in the Gale engines, does the exhaust have to be below water to assist the cooling water flow (partial vacuum assist)? I've run it in a 10 gallon test bucket at this point and due to the height of my stand, the exhaust is exposed (but the pump inlet is below water). The engine gets pretty hot after only a minute or so, enough that I wouldn't want to keep my hand there at all and I shut it down immediately. I've made sure the passages are clear and the original impeller is in good shape (it WILL be replaced). Completely took the lower end apart and verified all gaskets are good also.

This may be normal if the lower end isn't submerged enough so maybe I'm worried about nothing and just need to put it behind my boat....but I thought I'd better ask first!:redface:

94GG9003A is a 1948-49 Gale model 1W5
94GG9003B is a 1949-50 Gale model 1W10
I'd have to do some comparisons to see what the difference is.

Kind of hard to say about the depth issue. But I'd say get it down in the water. However, to answer your question, it does not operate on a siphon principle as you suspect.

Now about the pump. The 550683 impeller (properly called a "rotor") needs to fit closely on the eccentric and just touch the outer housing on one side, there being a space on the other side. The space progresses around as the rotor wobbles in the housing. That progressing space is what displaces the water. Also, the holes in the propeller provide a positive supply of water to the pump intake port.

What usually goes wrong with the pump is grease leaks out onto the rotor, making the rubber swell up and close up the side space.

Attachments

• Wobbler Pump.jpg
    Wobbler Pump.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1

sunkentreasure

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you FR for some really solid info.

I forgot to mention that the keyed brass rotor center had a filed NAIL when I pulled it apart :eek:(before running). I tossed that immediately and replaced it with a properly fitting key. At that time I verified the condition of the rotor and that it was rotating smoothly with a good fit in the cavity. There was a small chewed out cavity on the back of the rotor, but it was still soft and pliable.

I'm going to locate a new rotor and replace the old one for starters, then put it in enough water for a decent test. You wouldn't happen to know the part number by any chance would you?:)

Edit: I just reread your post and realized you gave me the part number already. I need more coffee.......................

sunkentreasure

Seaman Apprentice

I've just spent a frustrating couple of hours looking for a new impeller for this little guy. Could someone suggest a source? It shouldn't be THAT hard to find! Thanks in advance...:D

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Wilcox is the man for old impellers. Those little Gale one-lungers don't cool well in a barrel...they'll run a little hot. Forward motion of the boat helps the pump do its job...so check it on the water before you give up on the old impeller.

sunkentreasure

Seaman Apprentice

I wasn't able to get back and thank everyone for their comments. I have a feeling that the general consensus is right......this little motor needs more water around it than a test barrel can provide. I'll put it behind my 12 footer and go from there. Thanks again folks!