1st lube change, pumped air into outdrive, concerned?

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did my first gear lube change today and I am a little concerned. I have an alpha 1 outdrive and I properly drained the old oil (both drain screws and fill screws out). I connected a hand pump to the lower fill hole and pumped until the bottle of lube almost emptied and proceeded to pump some air pockets through the pump hose and into the outdrive. While running to the store to get another bottle of gear lube, I left the air vent screw out hoping any air would float to the top and escape (about 20 minutes). Upon returning, I connected the new bottle and continued to fill until the lube reached the appropriate height. Should I be concerned about air being trapped in the outdrive? Thanks!

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: 1st lube change, pumped air into outdrive, concerned?

don't worry about a couple of air bubbles. If your boat is equiped with a drive lube resivoir, the air will burp into it and you can top it off. If you don't have a resivoir, run the boat for 15 to 20 min. and check the oil level at the top most vent plug. But a few air bubbles aren't gonna blow your drive.

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I'll run it and check it. I don't have a reservoir. I'm just concerned because it was more than just a few little air bubbles. As the oil bottle ran empty, I continued to pump quite a bit of air through the pump. I was trying to get all the oil out of the bottle like an idiot!

havasuboatman

Ensign

If there is a lot of air, run it a bit, then add as needed. Then check it when you use it until it no longer requires topping off. it shouldn't take too long. Next time you do a oil change, pour your oil into a clean one gal bottle, that way you wont have to switch bottles. (you will have to add a piece of hose to reach the bottom of the one gal bottle)

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's great advice. Thanks for the info. I'll check it a few times before I feel comfortable. Thanks again!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Next time you do a oil change, pour your oil into a clean one gal bottle, that way you wont have to switch bottles

BRP (Johnson/Evinrude) makes a nice little pump to fit the 1 gallon "old antifreeze containers". It pushes a lot more fluid per stroke so it doesn't take as long to fill the drive. That's what I use for my travel pump.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Also the fact you let it set 20 minutes most of the air should have come to the top.
Just check it after the first run and you should be good to go.
You did use new O-ring washers on the plugs..?The blue ones....