1999 VP carbed still having problems

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
At my wits end with this motor. Two years ago in August I bought a 1999 Albemarle with a Volvo Penta 5.0 GI. The boat had sat up for about 3 years. Compression was good, passed a leak down test.
Fuel was pumped out and replaced. The high and low pressure pumps were changed. The VST was cleaned the injectors were so bad they could not be cleaned so they were replaced. Sensors were changed motor would still not get above 2200 rpm?s kept dumping fuel. Had the ECU replaced. In December I gave up and had the fuel injection system taken off bought a Quadra jet and put it on.
The boat was running great. Then it slowly started to run like crap. Took the carb off and had it rebuilt not much of a change. Started looking at fuel delivery changed out the anti-siphon valves, reran all new fuel lines, replaced the 15psi fuel pump (from the fuel injection system) with a 5psi fuel pump for a carburetor, found the electric choke was closing because of a low voltage supply. Replaced the carb with a NEW Quadra jet without a choke. No change in performance. Boat used to run 3460 rpm?s and burn 12.5 GPH now same rpm?s I burn 19 gph. Four barrel starts to open at 3600 rpm?s.
When running with a warm engine the misfire starts a 2670 rpm?s, that?s when the fuel starts to starts to really flow. Runs rough to 2900 rpm?s then it starts to smooth out, will run smooth to about 3900 rpm?s fuel flow is about 20 gph. Will get up to 4100 rpm?s (used to be 4400) at 4000 rpm?s it starts reverse surging, dropping 300 to 400 rpm?s the coming back up.
Today I ran 28 miles (on my GPS) flow scan read 21.2 gallons. I thought that can?t be so I fueled it up it took 21.1 gallons. So the flow scan is dead on. That calculates to 1.33 gallons per mile.

Here is a timeline of what has been done. New = within the past 6 weeks up to this week.
Carb = new
Fuel pump = new
Fuel lines and anti-siphon valves = new
Fuel shut off/selector valves = new
Distributor cap and rotor (Friday 7/1)
Coil (Friday 7/1)
Spark plugs (Monday 6/27)
Distributor 18 months? old (changed when fuel injection was taken off)
Wires 18 months? old (changed when fuel injection was taken off)
Wiring harness 18 months? old (changed when fuel injection was taken off)

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks,
Barry

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
With the fuel numbers your posting it looks like your motor is getting plenty of fuel. Have you checked on the timing side? I see you replaced the distributor, was the motor properly indexed to #1 TDC on the compression stroke before the dist was put back in and has the timing been checked?

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Timing has been checked. Motor was indexed. It was running fine then started to slip. It seems after every new ?repair? another problem shows up. I am thinking about going back to the 5psi fuel pump being that it is carbed. I am running off the lp fuel injection pump which is 15 psi. But i do believe it is something with timing as I have found un-burned fuel on the 1st plug on the port side of the motor.
The biggest problem is the symptoms seem to change from one trip to the next. I could start up today and have low idle, bogging down or who knows what. Or It could run fine. Thinking of re-naming her to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde or Box of Chocolates (you never know what you will get).
The other problem is I am running out of ideas and it is probably something simple. I have so much $ invested in this boat it's ridiculous. If I could find out what is wrong the boat would be great. I have it rigged up with lots of modifications and equipment. I have thought about selling but I could not do that unless it was running right. Then if I got it running right, why would I sell her?
The old Catch 22!!!
One last thought. I am on my 3rd certified VP mechanic. These are not fly by nighters', but real mechanics with plenty of knowledge. I guess because the symptoms keep changing no one can pin it down.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you. The distibutor cap does not match the one that I have. But the method may be the same. I will show this to the mechanic.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
A 15 PSI pump is WAY too high for a carb.

Last edited: