1999 S225 OX66 Service Advice

fondafj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We are not new to boating, but new to outboards.2 yrs ago we purchased a boat with a pair of 1999 S225 OX66 Yamaha's. Up 'till <br />now, I've been plodding along fat-dumb-and-happy changing this stuff every season:<br />- Water Sep Filters<br />- Engine fuel filters<br />- Spark Plugs<br />- Water Pumps and lower unit oil<br />- Cleaning O2 sensors<br />So, after reading up in this forum to get a plan to fix the one outboard that has a hot start problem, I have discovered that there are more "routine" repairs/tests I should have performing. Here is my plan of attack this year above-and-beyond what I have been doing --- <br />your experience and comments welcome:<br /> <br />- Low pressure fuel pumps/3 per engine<br />- Fuel Pump Gasket <br />- VST Pump Filter/1 per engine<br />- Float Chamber Gaskets <br />- Test O2 sensors after cleaning - need to search for recommended method to test,method in the service book ng?<br />- Check the plug resistor caps and coils - "Plug wire /resistor should be approx 750-850. The coil w/out the resistor cap should be approx 350."<br />- Verify oil pump lever adjustment<br />- Per the service manual, a throttle plate syncro adj is called for <br /><br />I think this covers it...... any other ideas or comments, advice? The hot starting problem: Starts fine cold, engine fires but stalls when <br />hot, starting with throttle advanced works and idle is normal <br />afterwords.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 S225 OX66 Service Advice

yep its time for more advanced maint. some that is not listed<br /> the red caps should have approximatly 5K ohms. if not they most likly are bad. the low pressure pumps need maint before they die not after. the VST has a maint schedule of yearly or 200 hours whichever occurs first. on the hot start check all the sensors for proper operation and the flame test for the O2 sensor is worthless. to test the sensor you must have the test haarness and a digital multimeter. remove the airbox. place the boat in the water. hook up the test lead on the greenwire side of the o2 sensor. warm the engine up for about 5 min. now place your finger over the idle air bypass hole on the top throttle plate. you should see a rapid change in voltage. up to .8 or so. now remove the finger, you should see a rapid drop in voltage. and while the motor is just running it should scale between about .35 and .6 volts and never remain very steady. carefully inspect the white oil link clip at the oil pump for signs of cracking. most do.replace them before they break. sometimes you have to go above and beyond the service intral maint. have you ever tested or replaced the t-stats or pressure valve grommets? they go bad just sitting as well as some other parts. if after a though maint session you still have hot start problems repost them.

fondafj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rodbolt,<br /> No, I haven't done thermostats yet or the pressure valve grommets. They are on my list and I omitted them in my post. Where can I get a diagram for the test harness or do I need to buy one? I'm pretty comfortable with EFI theory and some applications..... just need to get up to speed on how the Yamaha stuff works. Thanks for the information.... I'll keep you posted on the results

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its not expensive and any yamaha dealer can order the harness. also ask for the 94-05 tune up spec guide. has some nice handy info.

John from Madison CT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rodbolt: What's sad is how few Yamaha Certified dealers know about this maintenance schedule. I do all I can NOT to give my engine to them.<br /><br /> My offer still stands,....would you like to be my full time Yamaha mechanic? We have a small cot in the basement, and will feed you all you want. : )

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahha<br /> well my attorney called the other day. he is submitting the contract for my land sale. I may be homeless if the buyer shows cash :) <br /> the maint schedule is also in the 2005 yamaha marine technical guide. another good reading book.

John from Madison CT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rodbolt: Promise me.....You will NEVER..EVER leave this website.<br /><br />John

Petty Officer 2nd Class

John<br />Feeding him is one thing. I have heard that he has an insatiable thirst. Be careful.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahahaah<br /> I have a fondness for a good sangria :)