1999 Merc Bluewater EFI 250hp, good engine?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Hey guys, I am looking at a boat with the above motor on it, and I don't know much about this particular motor, yet, I plan on reading as much as I can here on iboats, but wondered if any experts here can give me some pros and/or cons of this engine. It has about 500hrs on it.

I have been an OMC guy for 25 years, pretty much because my father always had them and every boat I ever bought just seemed to have an OMC on it. Don't know a whole lot about Merc's but would be excited to learn as much as I could about them. There are so many of them around so I always knew at some point I'd cross paths with one.

I assume that the Merc EFI's are just 2 strokes with either one or more injectors in place of the carbs, correct? They are not DI motors like the Optimax, correct?

Just really looking to see if these are considered good strong engines before I move forward with looking at this boat. Also wanted to find out what the Bluewater series consists of, is it just some stainless parts added to hold up better in saltwater? I figure if the guy has been running it since '99 and it's got 500hrs it should be in pretty decent shape, as in it hasn't had any major issues thus far.

Thanks.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1999 Merc Bluewater EFI 250hp, good engine?

Any info or insight?

Thanks.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Cricket, the hours is only a measure of the time the motor could be running (or "key-on"). The best indicators are a compression test, ckecking LU for suspicious oil, shavings, etc. AND a sea trial. Not on muffs...IN THE WATER...and put it through some paces at all rpms, in both gears. If you don't feel comfortable with what you find, get it surveyed...money well spent. Good luck

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks richard, I plan on doing all of that as I do with every boat I buy, but just wanted to see from people who know Merc's if this is considered to be a good engine. I have read a little and so far everything I read says these EFI engines are very strong and reliable.

I have a lot of experience with OMC, years and years, but almost none with Merc, and while 2 stroke outboards are generally similar in design and function, I just wanted to see from guys who know Merc's well what the consensus is on these Bluewater EFI's and what exactly the Bluewater Series consists of.

Thanks.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Any engine is only as good as the maintenance the prior owner has done.

If it sea trials, passes all compression and spark tests, and the prior owner has RECORDS, and you continue to take good care of it, it should become one of your favorites.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I appreciate any and all responses, but I'm really looking for things other than the obvious that apply to ALL makes and model engines. I am fully aware that I need to check compression and bay test the boat, I will pressurize the L/U and check the strength of the spark on all cylinders. I have been working on outboards my entire life, professionally for a while, but have very little experience with Merc.

I'm really looking for specifics on this model engine....are they known for certain things, ie..weak head gaskets? Were there any specific issues with the injectors on these EFI motors? Did these engines have reed issues? Did they tend to carbon up a certain way? Do they need to be propped a certain way? Are there certain filters that you need to be aware of and stay on top of, like a VST on a Yamaha? Things like that.

Just really looking for overall opinions on this particular series of Merc engines. What exactly does Bluewater Series mean, what all is different about it? Is it similar to the Saltwater Series that OMC (Bomby) has, which is just some stainless parts in place of non stainless to hold up to saltwater use?

I know enough from over the years to stay away from early Opti's, but also know to steer clear of early FICTH's as well, but what I am really looking for is specifics on these EFI engines both good and bad, just a little education on them.

Thanks.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Anyone....Bueller....Bueller.

Somebody's gotta have some info on these engines.