1999 Johnson 130hp TILT up while underway????

thyNemesis

Seaman
I was out boating today, all of a sudden my motor tilted way up while under way! investigated best I could while out in the water. It happened a few times before I shut her down and disconnected the wire connector harness to the tilt/trim motor, got back into port. It wouldn't do it all the time, just a few times before I said enough.

Once back home I opened up the relay box and tested to see if the UP(blue wire) relay was stuck, nope. Tried both switches, @console and @ side motor cover, and relay was clicking like it should.

I have yet to duplicate this problem once ashore.

Any ideas?

Should I just replace the relay and just hope that it could e the problem or is there something else I need to look at before??

Any place other than a marina parts store I could find the relay at? Auto parts store? All the marina parts places are closed I want to head out early morning to go scalloping!

Thanks.
Jeff in Florida.

Re: 1999 Johnson 130hp TILT up while underway????

check the switch's for broken covers or any other way water can get in the switch. Its been raining real hard so there's a good chance that one switch has water in the contacts and when that happens the motor normally trims up