1999 Johnson 130hp idle adjustment???

thyNemesis

Seaman
Hello,

I have an 1999 Johnson 130hp that will constantly die when I return to the dock from a day of fishing.
Leaving the dock this morning it started fine and I let her warm up and left without problems.

While chasing this problem I've already replaced the plugs and gapped them per spec as called out in the manual, I've removed all the carbs and cleaned/rebuilt all of them. As a last resort I've taken it to a marina and had them perform a link/sync. I told them my rpm was around 600rpm with the ear muffs on (out of the water) and told them that I thought that once the boat is in the water that it would drop down below the recommended rpm range of 600+/-50rpm from the back pressure causing my problems which is the stalling when trying to manuver back into port, shifting from fwd/rev.

I have fresh gas, water seperator is new.

So, now I am stuck on what to do next!

Is there anyway for me to further diagnos this issue? an idle adjustment I don't know about? could I adjust the throttle linkage a bit to increase the rpm range a bit?

Thanks.

Last edited:

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1999 Johnson 130hp idle adjustment???

You need to set your idle on the water because it needs the backpressure to be set properly.

thyNemesis

Seaman

Thanks, but that, I knew!

I would just like to know where that adjustment is located, I can do that on the water once I know how to adjust!
I thought I read somewhere that its the cigar looking device (thier words) with the screw located in the end, just under/near the flywheel, is that correct?

fireman57

Captain

If you take your engine cover off and stand behind it you will see where the throttle cable comes in and hooks up to the bottom something that resembles a roundish hub. Back on your cable you will see a black dial. Take the keeper off of and adjust it so it increases your rpms to where you want them. You might have to adjust the long screw stop at the top of the roundish hub. Once you look at it things will click for your.

Randy000

Seaman

My 97 was doing the same thing. If you have the aftermarket manual it shows the wrong screw as being the idle adjustment. The bellcrank has a bolt on it that gives it a hard stop, or adjust the cable like he said.
My idle was around 600 and after a shop set it it was 1000 on muffs and 700-750 in the water which would let it idle but when docking shifting through gear it would drop lower and sometimes stall. I upped it a little more and it was idling great.

Last edited:

thyNemesis

Seaman

Randy000,

Your problem seems to mirror what I'm going thru now!

Mine idles around 600/650 in the water, once I start to attempt to dock, I shift it and it drops to around 500/550rpm and stalls...
This is after I told the marina service dept my problem, they gave it back to me and it seems to have done nothing but cost me some dollars.
They did say the performed a link/sync.

This bellcrank you speak of, I'm not fimiliar with this part, could you further explain?

Are you talking about the screw located upwards or the cable attaches too? that screw post that you could adjust on the arm?

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Idle speed is increased and decreased by adjusting the timing screw. It should be identified in the manual. Turning it counter clockwise should increase the idle rpm's. 600 rpm is very low and stall is not surprising. I'm not too trusting of my dash tachometer, somewhere around 900 rpm's is where I set mine, any much below and it quits at idle. 600 rpm's would be out of the question.

thyNemesis

Seaman

Engine model number is: J130PLEED

Yes, it looks like #71

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If the link & synk are set correctly, adjust your idle speed with the engine in gear and in the water.

thyNemesis

Seaman

Timing screw, OK?
Any ideas of the location of this screw?

I bought a manual from someone on Ebay, goes by the name:TNEWCAMP, don't know the quality of it, but what can I expect for such a low price.

Thanks so much for your input!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Idle adjustment screw is for idle speed. Timing adjustment linkage is for setting the timing.

thyNemesis

Seaman

OK, I looked thru the manual, found a couple of jpg, mine doesn't show the idle adjust screw, it looks as though it was not shown in the manual, however, an earlier year shows it, I will have to go out tomorrow and see if I can locate it.

idleAdjust1997-later.jpg
idleAdjust1992-96.jpg

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

See in the lower image the large plastic adjustment knob, item 11. Instead of a large knob there is a slotted screw with a lock nut on your engine. Everything else is the same. Loosen the locknut and turn the screw one revolution at a time (counter clockwise) until the idle speed advances about 100 rpm's. If that does not do the trick advance for another 100 rpm's.

The upper image has the adjustment screw but it is not numbered.

Last edited:

dazk14

Ensign

See in the lower image the large plastic adjustment knob, item 11. Instead of a large knob there is a slotted screw with a lock nut on your engine. Everything else is the same. Loosen the locknut and turn the screw one revolution at a time (counter clockwise) until the idle speed advances about 100 rpm's. If that does not do the trick advance for another 100 rpm's.

The upper image has the adjustment screw but it is not numbered.

Above is correct.

If your shop has set the link and sync DO NOT TOUCH #71. You WILL screw up the link/sync. That adjustment sets you squarely on the idle circuit.

ALL idle RPM adjustments are done via IDLE TIMING. In the ishop illustration, slotted screw #88 controls that adjustment and you loosen #86 locknut. It is located at the end of the "cigar" #81 spark advance link.

As noted above, rotating the screw counter-clockwise will increase the idle timing and CORRECTLY adjust your idle speed.
The specification of 650 in gear, untethered- is a bit low on those motors, so set it to what you need.

You rebuilt the carbs, what did you set the idle mixture screws to? The factory setting is 3-1/2 turns out. They usually wind up closer to ~3 turns out, which raises the idle rpm and prevents loading up, so it'll idle more reliably.
The allen head size for the screws are a bit of an odd ball as they are in 64ths - 9 as I recall. They are recessed and require a longer length than is in many shade tree mechanics tool boxes.

Last edited:

thyNemesis

Seaman

Awesome write-up, Now all the information that has been posted is clearer now!

When I rebuilt the carbs, I didn't mess with that screw, maybe I should of re-serached the procedure a little more thourogh, but the manual I have is not all that great, I guess, I get what I pay for...

I will try and find an allen head size you spoke about and check to see the set-up is correct. I will record what they are set at presently and adjust as per your write-up.

Which should I do first? the set-screws first, than see how it runs in the water, than try the idle timing as the last resort?

Many thanks for your helpful posts, this includes EVERYONE!

dazk14

Ensign

Busy in shop at moment...will touch base later.

In the meantime
$27 delivered (media mail from Texas) 1995 version(close enough if money is very tight)
Johnson Evinrude Outboards OMC Service Manual 1995 125C 130 200 225 250 90LV | eBay

$56 Delivered via Priority 1999 version - obviously the 1st choice
Johnson Evinrude OMC 1999 Service Manual 90 LV 130 200 225 250 Models 787032 | eBay

Order 1 of these asap. You'll would not have had to pay for the link/sync.

If you want to get out on the water tonight...Leave the 9/64 allen mixture screws alone for the moment.

Raise your RPM from idle timing screw as noted above. May as well count the number of turns you rotate it(counter-clockwise).

thyNemesis

Seaman

I went out today and decided to check the idle screw fuel adjustments and see where they were adjusted too.

I had one at 3.75, 4.25 and two at 4.75 turns out.

This I can tell is not correct, they all need to be the same, but what that same is???

I tried the 3 turns out, engine died after a few seconds, 3.5 turns out still dies but not as fast, 4 turns out, a little better but not quite smooth, 4.75 now it seems to be getting better but not perfect, will try and adjust for 5 and put it in the water saturday and see how it runs than.

I will see if I need to raise the rpm range after adjusting the fuel metering issues first.

dazk14

Ensign

You could not have properly cleaned the idle circuit without removing the mixture screws.

Another reason to spend the 56 bucks tonight.nudge,nudge

That said, we'll try to work with what you have. The mixture screws are set individually and will differ carb to carb. It is set with a tach, in gear, in water, unrestrained(not always practical), to highest and smoothest(steady) rpm. Slightly rich better than slightly lean.

Run the motor hard for a few minutes, re-check check your idle rpm and smoothness.

Did you check the float height when you rebuilt the carbs...Level with gasket surface with carb inverted.

It's important that the recirculation system is functioning properly for idle quality...order the manual

Last edited: