1999 Evinrude 8hp - 4stroke

born1968

Cadet
Hi ,

since the seller can't tell me anything about the motor , and i can find a thing on google, i post here.
Here the link ;
http://www.kapaza.be/Watersport_en_boten/Motoren/14572066/Evinrude_8_pk_viertakt.html

Seller says he used it 2 times a year in Spain.
So it is a 4stroke, and i heard that long time no runing is bad for such a motor?Is it much more fuelleconomic than a 2stroke?
Which type is it , did this series have any weak spots ?

i hope that someone can show me a review

thx !

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1999 Evinrude 8hp - 4stroke

I know a little bit about it, I think.

I had a Johnson 9.9HP 4 stroke from 1997, which was a very good outboard also made in a 15HP version. These engines were made by OMC, not Suzuki.

I understand that they offered 5 and 8HP 2 cylinder 4 stroke outboards at the same time, but OMC was on it's last legs and failed very soon after that.

Were that engine available to me here, and I had need of one, I would probably buy it based on my good experience with the 9.9. I would try to get it very cheap, because it appears that the engine cannot be demonstrated on the water and I would expect to have adifficult time finding parts.

born1968

Cadet

so evinrude is "out of business" ?
this engine costs 1450$ , and that's too much i think.
The guy offers a small 10foot inflatable, so i think i could test the engine.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Outboard Marine Corp (OMC) went out of business around 2000. The assets associated with the Johnson and Evinrude brand outboards were purchased by Bombardier and are now owned by Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP).

I don't know if BRP can supply parts for the "orphan" 4 strokes built in such small numbers for such a short period.

In the US I would call $1450 far too much for that outboard. I paid $900 for my 1997 9.9 in 2002.