1999 Doral 270 - Dash Switches not working

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yesterday I went to my boat (1999 270SC) and I am suddenly having electrical 'issues'. None of my electrical switches at the helm work except the blower. Engine started fine. I noticed I had to turn on BOTH accessory switches for the depth guage to work but nothing else came on. NO horn, no interior lights, no running lights, no engine light, no dash lights, no wiper. The switches on the left side of the dash for the spot light and the trim tabs were not working either.
I checked the breakers and the master switches, etc - all good. Really weird! I sure appreciate your help in advance.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Now it gets really weird. I went back today and everthing was fine. All I can figure is there is a loose ground or something on something somewhat centralized. I dont know what to do other than wait for it to happen again and be ready with meter and test light when it does. Thoughts?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Obviously a supply problem. If something works that is fed from the breaker panel, then one would assume the panel is getting power, and therefore all breakers on the buss are being fed. A wiring diagram would help to isolate the breaker (my guess) feeding what doesn't work. Sometimes flipping the breakers back and forth a few times will clean up the contacts allowing power to be restored. If fuses, removing and inserting the fuses a few times cleans up the contacts.

If that doesn't work, what "I" would do would be to get out my volt meter and access the rear of the breaker panel and check the input and output terminals/wires to each breaker ensuring that they are in fact supplying power as designed. On some installations you just crawl up under the dash. On others you may have to unscrew the panel from the bulkhead, pull it out and make your measurements.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If there was a temp change from the one day to the next, then you do have an iffy connection somewhere. So I would NOT wait for it to do it again! I mean you could be somewhere where you need everything working. I would start at the source(s) and clean and reconnect terminals and connections. Odd how connections can "look" good but have very resistive corrosion between the connections. So I would check both positive supply AND all grounds. JMHO

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Believe it or not this came down to me being really stupid and not realizing what was different the two days I was there. I did not think about the fact that my shore power was plugged in the second day when everything was 'miraculously' working again (and my battery charger circuit was on). Battery was simply dead.... Replaced. All good. Sometimes you just can't fix stupid - I hate to admit.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
We all do silly things. But it has to be a relief to know what was the problem too. Glad you figured it out and everything is working now. A new lesson learned!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no need to beat yourself up, we all make mistakes. those are the lessons we remember. you will never not check the battery again.

southkogs

Staff member
I will gladly admit to some "stupid," when the fix is easy and/or "cheap." ;)